Description of duties and responsibilities:
This position reports to the Head, Eye, Face and Hearing Protection NPD Engineering Manager. Primary responsibility is to design and develop new industrial and fire service head protection products and accessories, including goggles, visors, frames, and hearing protection that meet or exceed customer requirements. This is accomplished through applying MSA’s established New Product Development process. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinating and leading project teams.
- Working with customers, both internal and external, to determine product design requirements
- Determining necessary drawing changes to conform to customer requests
- Completing risk analyses, design calculations, FMEA’s and design reviews, to verify that design meets or exceeds product specifications.
- Developing an effective test plan, coordinating the efforts to test the design, and utilizing statistical methods to verify performance.
- Producing product engineering test samples utilizing rapid prototyping technology.
- Coordinating the efforts of product designers and drafters to document the design.
- Working with manufacturing to ensure the product is producible at or below the cost target.
- Leading a cross-functional project team to ensure effective production phase-in.
- Completing projects on-time and on-budget.
- Presenting project updates (progress, schedule, spending) to management.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Ability to thrive in a team environment.
- General knowledge of engineering software such as CAD, ANSYS, Minitab.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Creative problem solving and a customer-based perspective
- Knowledge of agency approvals requirements for head, eye, face and hearing protection equipment
- Working knowledge of thermoplastic and thermoset composite materials
Education and experience required:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, preferably from an ABET-accredited college or university
- Minimum five years relevant product development experience required. MS Degree can be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of head protection products and accessories, customer requirements and markets.
- Formal training and use of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) tools.
MSA Safety Inc.
- 2 years ago - save job
MSA Safety Inc. is the global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of sophisticated safety products, instruments, and services...