The Senior Media Relations Specialist supports the development and implementation of strategic public relations programs that highlight key clinical, health and research programs, initiatives and activities of the organization. Responsibilities include: planning public relations activities; developing media outreach strategies; drafting press releases and proactive media pitches; helping fulfill incoming media requests; building effective relationships with and serving as a primary contact for media professionals and outlets; identifying newsworthy topics and experts to discuss them in interviews; preparation of reports on and maintaining documentation of public relations activities. In addition, this individual assists in preparing staff for interviews, involving the development of talking points.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Builds and maintains relationships with key press and internal constituents, and assists in the management of press relations during major events and crises.
2. 2. Translates and communicates basic science, clinical and educational news through the writing and production of communications materials such as press releases and media advisories.
3. 3. Addresses press inquiries; proactively pitches stories that differentiate Mount Sinai from its competitors and positions the institution as a world-class medical center, pioneering research institute and innovator in medical education.
4. 4. Handles special projects with strategic media partners and create new partnerships with external associations and trade groups.
5. 5. Differentiates and assists in positioning individual departments, physicians, programs and services to elevate their reputation among key constituencies and consumer markets, locally, nationally and globally.
6. 6. Participates in or may independently manage the coordination of press conferences.
7. 7. Attends departmental meetings within the institution and offers creative ideas for enhancing coverage via print publications, web, television and radio.
8. Works with the Web Managing Editor and the Associate Director in the production and update of content for digital Newsroom.
9. Writes daily and weekly media reports to highlight the results of the Office's media outreach.
10. May field media calls after normal business hours (on call duties) as necessary.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required, Masters preferred in journalism, public relations or comunications.
*Excellent computer skills, including ability to navigate the internet
*Well versed in social media, including Twitter and other digital platforms
*Microsoft Office suite:
*Word and Outlook - intermediate
*Excel and PowerPoint - advanced
5 years of agency, non-profit or corporate public relations experience
Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds.
Mount Sinai Health System--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.
Mount Sinai Medical Center - 12 months ago
Mount Sinai Medical Center