Senior Media Systems Engineer
Information Technology Services & Security
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable based on experience; No less than $50,000
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Director Media Technology Services
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
As a member of the Media Technology Services engineering team, the Senior Media Systems Engineer is responsible for planning, designing, procurement, implementation, maintenance, and support of University media technology systems. The systems include Crestron controlled audio/visual systems and DSP enabled audio systems in classrooms, conference rooms, entertainment venues, and research facilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Design blended learning facilities as well as advanced multimedia enabled research, large venue, and presentation facilities. Provide hands-on technical support during the installation and maintenance of these facilities, as necessary.
2. Create complex A/V designs (to include A/V control, video, audio, and networking schematics) as part of engineering design packages
3. Generate list of materials, budgets, and requests for proposals/quotations
4. Maintain knowledge of media control systems, videoconferencing, and lighting control systems
5. Provide hands-on technical support during the installation and maintenance of these facilities as necessary
6. Collaborate with campus representatives such as University facility engineers, IT engineers, faculty and staff during the planning and development of new buildings and renovation of existing facilities
7. Stay up-to-date on developments of industry technologies, maintain current technical knowledge of production facilities, maintain a high level of competency with blended learning technologies, and provide recommendations for modifications and improvements of methods, procedures, and techniques
8. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
9. Integrate safety practices into daily activities
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree in electronics technology, computer networking and system administration or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired comparable experience
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Four years demonstrated experience in complex A/V or broadcast media system design, installation and maintenance or comparable experience
• Two years experience performing vendor management of Media System procurement for consulting, design, negotiation, installation and support, this can be concurrent with other experience
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Experience with blended learning technologies such as Echo360, Panopto or similar technologies
• Crestron programming certification
• Experience working with facility engineers, trades staff, faculty, staff, and students in higher education
• Demonstrated skills of conceptual thinking, leadership, and consensus building
• Experience writing Request for Proposals for complex A/V or broadcast systems
• Advanced hardware and software problem solving skills
• Comprehensive knowledge of IT networking and security principles
• Demonstrated experience programming audio DSP systems
• Experience configuring HD video and digital audio production systems
• Experience with audio DSPs and networked digital audio
• Experience creating system documentation with AutoCAD, Visio or similar products
• Experience designing web and H.323 video conferencing systems
• Experience designing command and control room video systems
• ICIA CTS -I, CTS -D certifications
• Experience using Helpdesk / Issue Management software
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Working knowledge of analog and digital devices including projection systems, transports, switchers, control systems, portable devices, and remote support tools
• Demonstrated strong analytical reasoning skills
• Demonstrated advanced audio-visual troubleshooting skills
• Ability to express full ownership and accountability for projects and service delivery
• Demonstrated organizational efficiency with the ability to work independently
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to work flexible hours and carry cell phone
• Demonstrated desire to continue learning new and applicable hardware and software systems
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to diagnose technical problems and apply standard solutions
• Demonstrated ability to contact vendors for technical solutions
• Demonstrated ability to create solutions and procedures for recurring problems
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands: *
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
• Often required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend, stoop, and twist.
• Frequent lifting of equipment and boxes for installations (up to 50 pounds).
• Occasionally, the employee may be required to work from a ladder or scaffolds, in manholes, in telecommunications rooms, lift trucks, or outdoors in various weather conditions.
• The employee is regularly required to sit, talk or hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel an object.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ): *
Safety Glasses, Gloves, Hard Hat
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training: **
• Employee Safety Overview
• Sexual Harassment Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Optional Applicant Documentation: Industry Certification(s)
Information Technology Website
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan’s scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a select group of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM .
Michigan Tech also has a Dual Career Program which assists departments with partner orientation to the university and community and identification of possible positions for partners.
Michigan Technological University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer/educational institution. Applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
Michigan Technological University - 30+ days ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...