Employees in this position are responsible for the maintenance of patient billing accounts and performing numerous related functions to accomplish this task; such as, patient registration, insurance follow-up, financial screening of unfunded patients, answering patient billing inquiries, collection of unpaid balances and posting of payments.
- Pre-registers new patients for designated clinics and updates return patient information as necessary.
- Conducts in-depth interview with patients to verify insurance coverage and collect essential data for filing accurate claims.
- Screens unfunded patients for financial assistance programs; disseminates information and answer questions regarding financial resources.
- Coordinates eligibility requirements with local hospitals to implement indigent programs governed by them.
- Establishes payment plans in accordance with guidelines to help patients manage payment of bills.
- Processes insurance claim forms and follows-up with third party payer sources. Re-bills insurance companies or other third parties to secure payment.
- Follows-up with insurance companies on claims when payment is not received within designated timeframes.
- Contacts patients/clinic staff to obtain or correct information on claims in order to resolve payment issues.
- Answers patient billing questions verbally or in writing.
- Receives and processes insurance and patient payments.
- Audits credit balances and refunds payer when overpayments occur.
- Contacts patients regarding outstanding balances and follow up on previous patient commitments.
- Refers delinquent accounts to collection.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date file on patient.
- Compose appropriate correspondence to patients, agencies and departments.
- Attends seminars/training sessions to keep current on new programs available for assistance to patients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) years of office experience with two (2) of those years in billing or collections.
- At least three (3) years of service at TTUHSC in the Medical Billing Associate program and a current performance appraisal with a rating of meeting or exceeding expectations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related area.
- Three (3) years of billing or collections experience within a healthcare environment.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - Permian Basin
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Hourly Pay Range
12.27 - 17.49
Monthly Pay Range
2126.80 - 3031.72
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Beginning in 1969 as Texas Tech University School of Medicine, today Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is a six-school university...