EBSCO Publishing, Ipswich MA, is a leader in the on-line reference marketplace selling to libraries, corporations and medical institutions worldwide. EP publishes DynaMed (http://www.DynamicMedical.com), an evidence-based clinical reference database providing clinically-organized summaries for more than 3,000 topics. DynaMed is the only evidence-based reference shown to answer most clinical questions during practice. The database is updated daily through systematic literature surveillance using evidence-based techniques. The DynaMed mission is to provide the most useful information to health care professionals by balancing validity, relevance, convenience and affordability. DynaMed is growing and we are seeking a full-time Senior Medical Writer.
The Senior Medical Editor will be responsible for creating and proofreading content that is assimilated into new or existing clinical reference topics; work will be conducted as part of the DynaMed Editorial Team with the guidance of a physician editor.
- Identify relevant research for inclusion in new or existing clinical reference topics
- Critically appraise clinical research reports
- Summarize a high volume of content in brief bulleted outlines within standardized templates and styles with minimal errors
- Identify research that may change clinical management decisions and synthesize the best available evidence in clinical reference topics
- Identify and correct errors in content produced by Medical Writers and provide feedback and instruction as needed.
- Train new writers in statistical concepts and writing format.
- Key member of team to maintain quality of content and oversee quality initiatives
- Work with management and participate in performance improvement and evaluation of Medical Writers on team
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelors degree in Science or Health related field
- > 5 years medical or scientific writing experience or advanced degree in related field
- > 2 years editing experience including editing documents produced by other writers, training, and feedback to writers
- > 1 year experience MS Office Suite including Word (with use of track changes) and Excel
This position is full time in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
- Understanding of principles of evidence based medicine and use of health information technology to support clinical decision making
- Critical appraisal and statistical skills sufficient to determine validity of advance study types such as systematic reviews and diagnostic studies
- Demonstrated ability to extract scientific data and apply to clinical decision making
- Sufficient knowledge to determine both clinical and statistical significance of research results
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of advanced PubMed searching strategies
- Experience as Team Leader or Project Leader
- Experience in electronic publishing
- Ability to produce high-quality content written concisely with succinctly stated clinical conclusions
- Ability to exercise judgment to make decisions and provide guidance to other team members according to set standards
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under time constraints
- Motivated self-learner with attention to detail
- Strong work ethic with focus on team success
- Flexibility and ability to effectively manage changing workload demands and priorities
- Willingness to learn xml editing software
- Writing sample available on request
EBSCO Information Services - 12 months ago