Space Coast Credit Union is in search of an experienced Senior Mortgage Underwriter. The qualified candidate will underwrite jumbo and portfolio loan programs in accordance with established credit union policies. Provide coaching and training to mortgage coordinators and underwriters. And interpret and communicate to staff all secondary and investor changes that impact underwriting guidelines.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Underwrites higher risk ‘portfolio’ product first mortgage loans in accordance with established guidelines, to include Jumbo and Investment loan requests.
- Performs quality reviews on mortgage loans and provides coaching and training to the other mortgage underwriter(s) and mortgage coordinators.
- Provides training, coaching, and reviews loan files prior to underwriting/validation authority being granted to all new underwriters and coordinators.
- Analyzes automated decision loans and provides management reporting to identify risk to the portfolio. Recommends changes to our practices of selling to the secondary market or additional underwriting requirements.
- Reviews, interprets and communicates changes in investor and PMI requirements that impact the ability to sell the loan to the secondary market or the ability to obtain investor insurance. Stays current with compliance regulations affecting mortgage lending.
- Underwrites requests for mortgage hardship and determines the appropriate repayment plan for the member and the credit union. Reviews each request to protect the credit union from additional loss. Also, underwrites all secondary market modification requests to ensure the credit union is in compliance with investor guidelines and to prevent additional losses.
- Applies secondary investor guidelines to appropriate files to comply with each specific institution’s requirements.
- Actively acquires additional knowledge and skills as needed to underwrite new products and programs for SCCU.
- Proposes enhancements to work methods or procedures in order to improve process efficiency and/or the quality of results.
- 5 to 7 years prior experience in underwriting including at least 2 years with an automated underwriting system such as Desktop Underwriter (Fannie Mae) or Loan Prospector (Freddi Mac.) and including portfolio lending experience.
- FHA certification required
- Through knowledge of and compliance with all relevant laws and regulations pertaining to the underwriting of mortgages.
- Ability to interpret and understand RESPA, FNMA, and investor guidelines and regulations.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
High School Diploma or GED (prefer at least two years of college).
Space Coast Credit Union - 17 months ago
Space Coast Credit Union (SCCU) is a member-owned cooperative with nearly 65 branches in the Sunshine State. Membership is open to all who...