Provide technical leadership and expertise in the operation of the company's communication network and other technology related initiatives. Ensure the infrastructure operates optimally, meets current and future business needs and promote enterprise-wide interoperability. Develop and enhance operational processes and procedures and integrate network management tools to provide a comprehensive operational environment.
The Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for all of the operational aspects and administration of Local Area and Wide Area Networks (LAN/WAN) technologies, which consists of, but is not limited to, switches, routers, load balancers, DNS/DHCP, and firewalls. S/he will support and troubleshoot network problems; work with third party providers; and assist in the day-to-day support of networks for The New York Times and its Strategic Business Units (SBU). The candidate will also assist in the implementation and maintenance of the telecommunications equipment and software at all of the NYTCo properties.
- Demonstrate leadership and expertise in the management and operation of the company enterprise network.
- Understanding the business requirements of customers and providing solutions
- Be the leader in ensuring that network related problems are being resolved by monitoring the Service Desk queue
- Troubleshoot LAN/WAN equipment
- Monitor and maintain the health and performance of the network infrastructure through any network management framework (i.e. Solarwinds, Riverbed Cascade, NetMRI).
- Aide in the enhancement and/or development of network management processes and controls.
- Perform voice and data additions, deletions, moves and changes.
- Responsible for hardware inventory control
- Track all implementation documentation initiatives utilizing a common repository
- Regularly document system maintenance, enhancements, and performance.
- Responsibility for after hour / 24 hour on-call support on a rotational basis.
1. Key Result Areas (Outputs & Deliverables)
- Up-to-date, accurate documentation of the network and related systems & equipment
- Manage and perform to SLA’s for network support.
- Periodic status reports to the Manager Network Services.
- Information Technology Staff at Boston Globe, The New York Times, Operating Groups, SSC & Corporate
- Information Technology Vendors
IV. Critical Technical and/or Functional Competencies and Experience
Job Requirements (Rank order & indicate whether Required or Preferred)
(Provide the technical/functional knowledge, skills and abilities critical to successfully performing this job)
Functional Knowledge & Skills
- Expert knowledge of industry best practices. Ability to maintain a network of peers and associates within the industry.
- Willingness and ability to learn.
- An expert understanding of IP addressing and routing.
- An expert understanding and experience with network technologies such as; VLAN’s; various routing protocols, layer 3 switching, HSRP, etc.
- Knowledge of network monitoring and management is beneficial.
- Experience with the majority of Juniper and/or Cisco and/or Nortel Networks networking hardware and software.
- Familiarity with the supported applications and operating systems, including JunOS, Cisco IOS, Nortel OS, Fortinet, etc.
- Prior PBX/Voice Mail system administration experience desired.
- Experience and understanding of basic call routing methods and strategies is preferred.
- Ability to quickly understand problems identified by staff and select appropriate resolution.
- Ability to learn and utilize new applications/operating systems.
- Familiarity with web architecture and programming a plus.
- Familiarity with tools and ability to navigate through features and use tools to increase productivity.
Education or Certifications
Associate’s degree from an accredited institution or technical school
- Bachelor’s degree
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
Required: Five or more of related work experience
- Some domestic travel required, approximately 5%
- Member of the 24-hour, on-call rotation team
- May work outside of “normal” business hours when needed
- Will be expected to exercise sound, independent judgment
- Will take initiative to ensure that individual, department & business unit objectives are met
- Ability to convert complex data into meaningful information so actionable plans can be developed.
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2012 revenues of $2.0 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com , BostonGlobe.com , Boston.com, and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 20 months ago