NREC is looking for a hands-on network engineer who can design, engineer, maintain, monitor and secure our data and voice infrastructure. The ideal candidate will have additional experience with Windows and Linux system administration and security.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Licenses: Certifications (e.g. Cisco Certified Network Associate/Design Associate or related) or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Experience: 4 years of related experience engineering, deploying, and supporting network technologies and services such as routing, switching, DNS, DHCP, 802.11 wireless LANs, TCP/IP, Ethernet, SNMP, and security.
- Skills: Ability to support the design, deployment, and maintenance of networks. Intermediate understanding and application of theoretical knowledge of TCP/IP network environments. Ability to learn new technologies quickly. Strong analytical, organizational, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Physical Mobility: Requires wide range of mobility, i.e., ability to stoop, reach, bend at waist, grasp and pick up objects, maneuver in cramped areas, perform minor repairs to equipment, stand for long periods of time, lift and carry equipment and other heavy materials. Good eye/hand coordination. Must be able to access wiring closets and work in small spaces. Must have manual dexterity with small tools. Must be able to lift and maneuver objects of at least 50 pounds. Must be able to stand on a ladder to perform overhead work on ceiling mounted equipment.
- Environmental Conditions: Ability to use a computer keyboard and display for extended periods.
- Mental: Strong organizational and problem solving skills. Ability to learn new technologies.
- Other: Ability to provide technical support on a 24x7 basis is required. Weekend and evening hours may be required. Will require periodic 24-hour on-call availability on a rotating shift. Candidate must be a United States Citizen and have a valid US Driver's License. Must have your own transportation to access remote sites.
- Experience: Network Certifications (e.g. Cisco Certified Network Associate/Design Associate or related); Security Certifications (e.g. CCSP, Security+, CISSP, GIAC or related) or equivalent knowledge and experience; 5 or more years experience designing, engineering, deploying, and supporting network technologies and services such as routing, switching, DNS, DHCP, QOS, VOIP, 802.11 wireless LANs, TCP/IP, Ethernet, SNMP, and Network Security. Experience with network and security monitoring tools. Expert level knowledge of AAA (authentication, authorization and accounting) and all related protocols and services. Experience with programming and scripting languages a plus.
Regular Full Time
Minimum Education Level
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
We are a global research university with more than 12,000 students, 92,000 alumni and 5,000 faculty and staff. Carnegie Mellon has been a...