Higher One Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ONE) is a leading company focused on creating cost-saving efficiencies for higher education institutions and providing high-value services to students. Higher One offers a wide array of technological services on campus, ranging from streamlining the institution’s performance analytics and financial aid refund processes to offering students innovative banking services, tuition payment plans, and the basics of financial management. Higher One works closely with colleges and universities to allocate resources more efficiently in order to provide a higher quality of service and education to students.
Founded in 2000 on a college campus by students, Higher One now serves more than half of the higher education market, providing its services to over 1,250 campuses and 10.5 million students at distinguished public and private institutions nationwide.
At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
Senior Data Network Engineer
Higher One, Inc. is a growing innovative financial services company. Our success is built on the talent, energy, and enthusiasm of our employees, and we are looking for a creative thinking and detail-oriented individual to become part of our IT Operations team as a Senior Data Network Engineer.
Our focus in hiring is to find smart, dedicated and enthusiastic candidates. The individuals we have hired are those who were motivated to find the position that truly suited their skills. The work that our employees perform each day is a part of their career, not just their job. Team members we hire are those who work intensely on projects that they feel passionate about.
Higher One’s Senior Data Network Engineer will be responsible for design, implementing and support of Higher One’s core network that supports the infrastructure and 24x7 production environments in multiple data centers. Provide technical thought leadership for data/voice networks and is accountable to define, maintain, communicate and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy. This positions focus will be on the data/voice network where they will be responsible for monitoring and maintaining the network hardware, connectivity and maintaining network security to meet the company’s security policies and certifications.
Day to day responsibilities:
· Help design, build and implement a network that will support the contact center architecture to support 1000+ users spread over multiple sites.
- Interpret requirements (customer, internal customer, and existing infrastructure) providing engineering solutions and develop specifications to implement new network engineering projects.
- Prepare time estimates for all phases of technical projects. Develop and maintain project plans for large and medium projects. Document all aspects of projects to assure other network administrators can support the environment easily.
- Provide technical leadership to other administrators.
- Help define standard engineering designs, templates, processes, and procedures for implementing projects.
- Provide enterprise network architecture design recommendations based on long-term IT organization strategies. Develop technical architecture solutions including major enhancements and interfaces, functions and features.
- Interface with Project Managers to ensure requirements are gathered for projects and that project status is communicated.
- Participate in design reviews and ensure that all solutions are aligned to policies and pre-defined architectural specifications.
· Document network designs, data communication circuit ordering information, asset management and administration of maintenance contracts.
· Analyze system performance, modifying parameters to improve throughput and effectively utilize system resources. Provide recommendations to resolve future performance needs.
· Participate in production support activities. Will be expected to have the technical knowledge and capability to troubleshoot incidents that may arise. Proactively put procedures in place to prevent and reduce the severity of outages.
· Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with internal and external strategic partners.
· Coordinate activities with vendors as required.
· Maintain network security and standards to meet the company’s security policies and certifications.
Working at Higher One
Higher One is not your typical financial services company. Our environment is open – we do not have offices – not even for upper management. We typically work in casual attire, and while our focus on excellence is anything but casual, we know how to have fun, too. Teams have been known to plan surprise nerf gun attacks on other departments, we have paper airplane competitions and office chair races, and we have a foosball table in our casual lounge. The lounge is complete with couches and comfortable chairs – and is the site of some of our meetings as well as a place to relax. We work hard – and we have fun while we do it.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent IT work experience.
- CCNP & CCDP or CCIE and/or other Cisco certifications preferred.
- Experience working in a 24x7 high transaction volume environment.
- 7+ years experience designing and managing an enterprise network.
- IP routing and switching for multi-site networks. Cisco network equipment knowledge required. Nexus switches knowledge a plus.
- Large bandwidth WAN networks.
- 10GB FCoE networks.
- QoS and WAN acceleration.
- MPLS, BGP, EIGRP working knowledge
- Load balancing technology. F5 knowledge a plus.
- Experience engineering a SIP/VOIP environment that is running a contact center environment.
- Experience managing a multiple location WAN network.
- Experience designing and implementing a highly redundant network with multiple layers of redundancy.
- Experience managing and designing an ATM or POS device WAN network.
- Experience working with MS Windows and Linux operating systems and their network requirements.
- 5+ years implementing network security for PCI, SAS70 or equivalent certifications preferred.
- Strong understanding of network security practices and experience with an IDS environment.
- Ability to blend discipline (area of expertise) with a business perspective. Is able to focus on business issues and interpret impact on business processes. Broadens knowledge within discipline. This position bridges the subject matter expert with business perspective equally.
- Ability to make logical decisions regarding the best method to accomplish goals or solve a problem and is guided by precedent and general policy in making decisions. Is able to operate with general management direction.
- Ability to coordinate and obtain cooperation of others. Able to handle controversial issues tactfully.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Off hours support required.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, 401K, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- Flexible work hours
- Casual dress
- 20 Paid Time Off Days per year
- 8 Holidays per year
- Fun events
- Free Lunch
- Free Fitness Center
Higher One - 14 months ago
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...