Senior Office Coordinator
CCHS Employees Only
HR Use Only:
Hospital: Cleveland Clinic Florida
Facility: CCF Palm Beach Gardens
Department: Admit and Reg
Job Code: 000670
Pay Grade: 12
Schedule: Full Time
Hours: 8a - 5p
This position supervises all clerical and front desk operations that support the physicians’ practices. This position is responsible for ensuring the efficiency of patient processing and throughput for the assigned pod. This supervisor has direct involvement with the staff, patients/visitors, physicians, residents/fellows, and nurses of many departments.
The Senior Office Coordinator ensures the front desk staff performs daily operational duties including, but not limited to, verifying patient demographics and insurance, patient check in /out, collecting co-payments and/or deductibles, scheduling appointments and diagnostic testing, and obtaining referral/authorizations. The Senior Office Coordinator also ensures the clerical office staff performs daily duties including, but not limited to, answering the phone and triaging calls, scheduling appointments / diagnostic testing and/or surgical procedures, obtaining referral / authorizations, maintaining physician(s) calendar, and reconciling/batching charge tickets.
A. Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated leadership and personnel management skills and the ability to organize, motivate, and develop staff.
2. Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate with physicians, residents/fellows, nurses, patients/visitors, and Administration.
4. Must have strong organizational skills to coordinate and perform multiple activities.
5. Ability to analyze operational aspects of respective departments and provide input.
6. Knowledge of medical terminology gained through experience or formal course work
7. Typing proficiency with the ability to format, spell, punctuate, edit, and proofread typed copy
B. Required Length and Type of Experience
1. Minimum two (2) years previous supervisory experience required or related Bachelor Degree.
2. Minimum of five (5) years medical office and/or medical insurance experience.
3. Strong computer skills, working knowledge of (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, e-mail software).
C. Required Licensure, Certification or Registry
1. None required
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervises respective front desk and clerical support staff with consistent leadership and proper human resources management practices, providing an environment which encourages teamwork in order to promote retention, productivity, and a quality customer-oriented team.
2. Oversees registration procedures, including insurance verifications and authorizations, to ensure timely and accurate registration.
3. Ensures staff identifies and collects co-payments, deductibles, and out-of-pocket expenses. Ensures cash collection / balancing procedures are performed in an efficient, correct and timely manner in accordance to CCF policy.
4. Monitors departmental phone stats ensuring patient phone access directly through the physician’s office, meeting target of 90% answer rate.
5. Processes / monitors time cards, employee overtime, and employee PTO requests in a timely manner consistent with budgetary guidelines.
6. Oversees the daily operational workflow, assesses the workload, evaluates staffing needs, and makes arrangements for coverage.
7. Maintains close working relationship with the physicians and nurse manager of the respective pod to resolve problems and ensure adherence to quality and performance standards.
8. Responds to patient concerns/complaints in a timely manner. Identifies problems, finds resolutions, and notifies Manager and/or Administration when necessary, to provide excellent customer service.
9. Participates in the interviewing and hiring process. Coordinates and implements the training of new employees and identifies/addresses any areas of concern.
10. Assures continuous training, education, and development of staff.
11. Conducts and completes performance evaluations for all staff after 45 and 90 days of employment and annually.
12. Documents any and all policy violations and follows the procedure for the issuing of a corrective action in a consistent manner.
13. Complies with and supports all internal policies, CCF initiatives, and activities to ensure the effective utilization of department resources and the ongoing success of daily operations.
14. Routinely meets with assigned staff to deliver information, educate on internal policies and procedures, obtain feedback, and provide open communication within the team.
15. Able to establish priorities, and determine order of importance on a daily basis with minimal guidance required.
16. Reviews and/or orders necessary office and/or medical supplies while staying within budgetary limits.
17. Is responsible for working the following reports:
Expert Notify list (identifies outstanding batches of charge tickets)
Express Registration report (identifies if we could have captured patient as part of Express Registration program based on certain criteria)
Auth Pending report (shows all appointments for the month that have authorization status as pending)
Hold report (shows claims holding for correction prior to submission)
Tape Error report (shows Signature registration errors)
ORIS to Signature report (compares the OR schedule to the physician’s schedule)
Unverified Check-in Appointments report (verifies whether the verification code is correct)
Desk Verification report (verifies insurance matches patient)
18. Performs other related duties as assigned.
D. CCF ORGANIZATIONAL-WIDE COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS:
All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
Demonstrates knowledge of Dr. Lower’s Credo:
A PATIENT is the most important person in this institution – in person or by mail.
A PATIENT is not dependent on us – we are dependent on him.
A PATIENT is not an interruption of our work – he is the purpose of it.
A PATIENT is not an outsider to our business – he is part of it.
A PATIENT is not someone to argue or match wits with.
A PATIENT is a person and not a statistic. He has feelings, emotions, biases, prejudices and wants. It is our job to satisfy him.
Patient’s First: Includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skills, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, including maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): Includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
NOTE: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
E. Required Physical and Environmental Demands
AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Able to relate to other health care workers and develop productive work relationships with peers and physicians. Projects a cooperative, positive helping demeanor and is able to perform well under stressful conditions. Is flexible and able to adjust to changes in assignments. Able to work under minimal supervision, prioritize workload and meet required deadlines.
Ability to sit for long periods of time, work in front of a computer monitor and use keyboard for sustained periods of time. Able to walk about the department and hospital and lift and carry paper, notebooks up to 10 pounds without assistance.
Fast-paced, very active position.
Personal Protective Equipment:
Category: Clerical/Administrative Support
Cleveland Clinic - 9 months ago
Cleveland Clinic, located in Cleveland, Ohio, is a not-for-profit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and...