Job Title: Senior Operational Risk Analyst
Reports To: Risk Manager
Department:: Office of the CIO
Target Salary Range: $86,433.90 - $108,042.38 with eligibility for incentive compensation
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of Openings: 1
Posting Valid: 11/28/12 until filled
Please read our Personal Trading Policy before applying. Ability to comply with this policy is requirement for this position.
Summary: The Senior Operational Risk Analyst is responsible for performing operational due diligence assessments of OPERS’ external investment managers, development of the independent operational due diligence program, operational risk assessment and oversight of internal investment activities, and coordination of activities related to business continuity planning for the Investment Division.
1. Conduct initial and ongoing operational due diligence assessments of external public market investment managers in conjunction with the External Management group.
2. Review, evaluate and monitor the investment risks of individual hedge fund managers, hedge fund of funds and of the hedge fund program.
3. Develop the operational due diligence program for both prospective and existing investment managers.
4. Review and evaluate operational due diligence assessments conducted by OPERS’ external consultants or other providers.
5. Coordinate daily operational risk management activities in conjunction with OPERS Investments, Audit, Compliance, Accounting and Operations Groups, and proactively mitigate issues for both internally and externally managed portfolios.
6. Develop and generate reports to document and communicate relevant day-to-day operational risk indicators and metrics.
7. Develop and actively participate in the OPERS Operational Risk Management Committee.
8. Coordinate and develop the Investment Division’s business continuity planning activities.
9. Assist the OPERS Investment Operations group to implement operational risk controls and processes that conform to best practices.
10. Monitor the information technology systems that support investment activities and make recommendations for enhancements as needed.
11. Independently monitor, evaluate and escalate issues associated with the operational risk management processes and results of related external parties such as the custodian, record keeper, investment managers, brokers, fund accountants, technology providers, and others as appropriate.
12. Maintain knowledge and understanding of industry best practices and work to implement those practices at OPERS.
13. Other duties may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Business, Finance, Economics, or Accounting. An advanced degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics is preferred.
- Ability to learn and utilize technology systems.
- Strong keyboarding skills
- Familiarity with securities trading, order management and risk platforms and databases (including Measurisk, Bloomberg POMS, Charles River, Eagle, BARRA and Barclays Point) is desirable
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally required
- Minimum 7 years of experience in investment management required
- Investment experience includes auditing, risk, compliance, accounting or operations.preferred
- Working knowledge of public market investments including fixed income, equities and derivatives preferred
- Exposure to hedge funds a plus
1. Having achieved a passing score on one of the following:
- Within six months of hire, the candidate must meet the eligibility requirements to be licensed as a State Retirement System Investment Officer (SRSIO), which requires either:
a. Series 63 exam administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
b. Series 65
c. Series 66
d. Level One of the Chartered Financial Analyst designation (CFA), or
2. Earning and being in good standing with the organization that issues any of the following credentials:
b. Chartered Financial Consultant,
c. Chartered Investment Counselor
d. Certified Public Accountant CPA) with a personal financial specialist designation
- Participation in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or applicable auditing certification programs
OPERS - 22 months ago