The Senior Oracle Database Administrator is responsible for the ongoing automation and support of Oracle databases and related functionality, providing the highest possible performance, availability, and security.
The candidate will be part of a dynamic team of skilled DBAs and Systems Engineers who manage existing database installations, perform database deployments, plan enhancements, and drive value through standardization and automation.
- Performance of Oracle database administration tasks include configuration management, backup/recovery, performance optimization, and space management
- Maintenance of multiple databases running Oracle 11g on Linux platforms
- Provide Production support through on-call rotation. Pager duty is required
- Participate in database infrastructure design planning and implementation. Understand upcoming software development and plan related database-changes
- Cross-train and instruct other DBAs on specialized skills/training
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred
- Requires 5-10 years experience in information technology, with at least 5 years experience managing Oracle databases
- Deep knowledge of Oracle Database 11g technologies
- Strong RAC/clustering experience, RMAN, and Data Guard experience required.
- Must be a hands-on, technically adept DBA, capable of performing required DBA tasks such as backup/recovery, clustering/replication setup.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in UNIX and be able to administer Oracle databases running in CentOS RHEL.
- Strong troubleshooting/performance tuning skills required.
- Must be able improve SQL performance results through use of explain plans.
- Ability to diagnose problems and triage/resolve issues across various tiers (application, network, database, server, or storage tiers).
- Ability to implement automation to reduce manual administrative tasks. Knowledge of scripting languages: BASH, Python, Ruby, Perl.
- Self-starter and be able to perform work with minimal supervisory direction
- Knowledge of data quality, data management, security and data testing strategies and practices
- Strong Oral and written skills. Able to communicate effectively and clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Anticipate and handle critical situations.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, but flexible and collaborative work environment.
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2012 revenues of $2.0 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com , BostonGlobe.com , Boston.com, and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 21 months ago