Must be an experienced land use and site planner with technical design skills to proactively critique and shape waterfront development in the Hudson Valley based on "smart growth," good urban design, and sound waterfront design principles. Familiarity with sea level rise adaptation strategies, a plus. Minimum Master’s Degree in architecture, city, planning, urban design, geography, or related field, master’s preferred and 5 to 7 years experience in community/participatory planning, AICP preferred.
- Knowledge of graphic programs (GIS, Adobe Suite, and 3/D programs).
- Outstanding writing and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively to diverse groups.
- Committed to environmental principles.
- Ability to be flexible, handle multiple assignments, work well with people, available for night and weekend meetings.
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with more than 10,000 ardent supporters, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley's inspiring beauty and natural resources.
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Everyone deserves opportunities to experience the Hudson River, to enjoy open space and to have a voice in decisions affecting their community.
- The beauty of the Hudson River Valley is a unique source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- An outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic growth.
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits. Please send cover letter with salary requirements, resumé and brief writing sample to: email@example.com . No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence.
- Manages all aspects of high profile transformative planning projects, such as trail development, sea level rise initiatives, etc., including grant writing and management, strategic planning, managing consultants and coordinating with all levels of governmental agencies, non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Primary responsibility will be to conduct Scenic Hudson’s advocacy planning campaign to further Scenic Hudson’s overall strategic objectives.
- Collaborate with communities to develop comprehensive plans, master plans, LWRPs, and other neighborhood or site specific planning documents
- Assist in the identification and inventory of parcels of land and assemblages of parcels subject to future development threat in order to proactively plan for and protect natural resources and provide public access.
- Evaluate and analyzing riverfront developments that threaten to degrade natural and visual resources, promote sprawl and consume open space. Prepare written comments and deliver testimony on proposed development projects.
- Work with local officials and citizens to identify alternative plans and opportunities that promote “Smart Growth” and livable places through good urban design.
- Educate the public and local decision makers about sprawl and its impacts on environmental quality and quality of life. Analyze the trends and communicate them to the public and the media through white papers, op-ed pieces, newsletter articles, forums, etc.
- Develop models, graphics, and maps using GIS technology.
- Develop planning models and guidelines for application in riverfront communities to serve as innovative place-based solutions to curb urban sprawl and protect the Hudson Valley’s exceptional resources and quality of life.
- Build local and state support for implementing policies to promote smart growth and prevent sprawl from consuming open space and degrading air and water quality.
- Coordinate and oversee the GIS system for the Land Use Advocacy team.
- Coordinate with Scenic Hudson Land Trust’s efforts to protect working farmlands and legacy landscapes.
- Coordinate with Scenic Hudson’s Director of Conservation Science to enhance air and water quality through the implementation of sound planning principles that promote Smart Growth.
- Produce LUA’s e-newsletter Riverfront Action.
- Complete other assignments as deemed necessary.
Scenic Hudson, Inc. - 30+ days ago