GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
The Probabilistics Lab delivers state-of-the-art probabilistic design methods, tools and drives applications in Aero-Thermal-Mechanical Systems from NPI designs to fielded product quality improvement across GE businesses.
As a Senior Engineer in the Probabilistics Lab, you will lead and participate in the development of state-of-the-art probabilistic methods and engineering design tools, applications of optimization, uncertainty quantification, robust design, engineering analysis model validation for GE aviation, transportation, healthcare, oil and gas and energy businesses
The successful candidate for this position will be a member of the Probabilistics Lab and will contribute to the design, development and prototyping of mechanical hardware and machinery for high performance applications under transient and steady-state vibratory, pressure and/or thermal loads. Specifically, you will work in a multi-disciplinary team contributing to the applications and development of methods for probabilistic design to aero, thermal and mechanical systems. You will be expected to set vision for new probabilistic methods, tools and applications for optimizing structures and systems under uncertainty for performance, weight and cost. Applications include turbo machinery, electrical machinery, energy generation and storage devices, medical imaging equipment, and similar mechanical systems.
- Provide senior technical expertise and vision in the development of state-of-the-art probabilistic methods and engineering design tools, applications of optimization, uncertainty quantification, robust design, engineering analysis model validation for GE aviation, transportation, healthcare, oil and gas and energy.
- Implementing probabilistic design and optimization methods into probabilistic design tools. Deliver easy-to-use tools for engineers to solve practical problems with improved accuracy and reduced design cycle by linking analysis tools such as commercial solvers, in-house codes, etc and probabilistic tools to automate the solution process.
- Mentor and guide employees across multiple organizations.
- Build strong networks with technologists and leaders at GE businesses in the development of methods and applications for probabilistic design and optimization
- Leverage technical network to collaborate across organizations/disciplines, create new opportunities, and apply the GE Growth Values to personal leadership style, behavior and team activities.
- Build technology collaborations with universities, government agencies, national labs and other companies
- Doctorate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field of study with at least 7 years of relevant industrial experience with demonstrated experience in probabilistic design and/or optimization of mechanical systems OR Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field of study with at least 10 years of relevant industrial experience with demonstrated experience in probabilistic design and/or optimization of mechanical systems
- Strong fundamental knowledge in statistical methods, probabilistic methods and optimization applied to engineering design problems
- Strong fundamental understanding of solid mechanics and tools used in structural analysis such as ANSYS or similar FE software
- Strong ability to develop, modify and utilize custom computer codes in various languages such as C++, Fortran, Matlab, Visual Basic, Perl, R, etc
- Demonstrated project leadership experience, including successful track record of completing deliverables on schedule and under budget
- Strong strategic focus & ability to influence organizations
- Experience in driving new ideas from concept to productization
- Self starter with the ability lead mechanical aspects in a multi-disciplinary design environment
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical design and analysis methods
- In-depth understanding of fundamental Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methods
- Hands-on experience wit Bayesian methods, verification & validation, model calibration, updating and prediction, uncertainty quantification, DOE/DACE, metamodeling, sensitivity, inverse problem, multi-disciplinary optimization, genetic algorithm applied to engineering components and system.
- Hands-on experience with software development.
- Experience with parametric, feature-based geometric modeling, hands-on experience with commercial and CAD packages (UniGraphics, Pro-Engineer, etc.)
- Demonstrated interpersonal, leadership and communication skills in a global team environment.
- Strong record of peer reviewed journal publications
- Clear evidence of innovation and creativity
- Exceptional passion for science and technology
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This position is eligible for The Employee Referral Program
Imagine what GE Global Research will make happen next. If you are ready to join us, click on the “Apply to job” button below.
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...