ABOUT THE POSITION:|
KIPP’s mission is to create a respected, influential, and national network of public schools that are successful in helping students from educationally underserved communities develop the knowledge, skills, character, and habits to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond. Over the last decade, KIPP has grown from the two original KIPP academies serving hundreds of students to a national network of 109 schools serving 33,000 students in 20 states and Washington DC.
By 2015, KIPP aspires to serve over 55,000 students, to celebrate 10,000+ KIPPsters in college, and to be a catalytic force for educational excellence in the communities the network serves.
The Senior Product Manager, Data Systems and Reporting will play a significant role in helping KIPP achieve those aspirations as KIPP redesigns systems built for a 5-8 model to enable the insight and analysis needed to drive success of a preK-16 model. The Senior Product Manager will be responsible for ensuring that KIPP schools, regions, and Foundation staff members can easily access and interpret the data they need to understand the network’s successes and challenges.
This role will require close work with network leaders, other R&E team members, and the IT team to ensure that data systems and reporting platforms are robust and flexible enough to handle the vast quantity of data coming from the network. The role will also require maintaining a strong lens towards usability and data reporting to ensure that the data is translated into insights that inform high quality decisions that drive continuous improvement and impact KIPP students.
The Senior Product Manager will report to the Director of Research and Evaluation and will manage the Data Collection Specialist. This is a full-time position. It is strongly preferred that the position be based in San Francisco, although a Chicago base is acceptable with significant travel required to San Francisco.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Senior Product Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
o Partner with the national IT team to build and maintain the Foundation’s data infrastructure; including database and data warehouse design, data loading, and report building
- Ensure that KIPP will have functional, flexible and scalable systems to collect, manage, and store the network’s expanding data sets
o Work with IT to resolve data capture, storage and quality issues that currently prevent teammates from using data effectively; prioritize across R&E team and play lead point of contact with IT
o Complete a thorough review of challenges and constraints of current systems (engaging team and other colleagues who have deep experience with the systems); and develop a multi-year strategic plan to solve these issues or redevelop system entirely
o Ensure system is functional and scalable for a growing pre K-16 education system
o Address the cross-walking of important data sources that are not currently integrated and live outside the R&E team
o Participate in the selection and management of external vendors
o Oversee the creation of aesthetically pleasing and impactful data visualizations via a new website that empower the network to take data-driven action, aligning stakeholders around a common vision, and leading other R&E Team and Foundation colleagues in the design of key dashboards and reports
- Manage the redesign, development and deployment of the internal HSR (Healthy Schools and Regions) website
o Conduct an external benchmarking process to understand best practices in the field
o Elicit user functional requirements from customers, using interviews, business process descriptions, use cases, etc.; Drive and challenge internal customers on their assumptions and provide insights and solutions on how to optimize their operations and business processes
o Deliver the following artifacts as needed: User Requirements, Functional Specifications, and Use Cases; work with IT to identify an appropriate system (or solutions for our current systems) that will meet these needs
o Develop and manage a plan to ensure consumer use of the new website; create a framework for an ongoing feedback and enhancement cycle
o Responsibility for maintaining the overall quality of KIPP’s data and ensuring that data errors and inconsistencies are quickly resolved
- Oversee ongoing execution and management of the annual data collection, integration and quality assurance process
o Manage and coach the Data Collection Specialist and partner with the R&E Project Manager in the execution and improvement of data collection processes
o Ensure data collection is as low-burden as possible to regions and schools
Data includes: NRT (MAP), State Test, Stakeholder Surveys, Data Portal, and integration of data from other teams (e.g. alumni database and network analytics)
o Ensure ongoing, high quality data collection and ETL systems continue to function as needed, even as systems are re-imagined and rebuilt. This include ensuring day to day processes are functioning, troubleshooting ,and regular work with a cross-functional team
o Create opportunities for Assessment and Data Managers in KIPP schools and regions to collaborate, plan technical training sessions for the community, collect and share resources
- Engage school and regionally-based data managers in trainings and conversations related to data and reporting
o Provide advice and consulting to KIPP schools and regions investing in data solutions such as assessment management systems, databases, etc.
o Identify innovative approaches to data collection and use occurring within KIPP schools and regions; facilitate sharing through KIPP Main Office, retreats, webinars, and other avenues
o Leverage network expertise to advance work where appropriate (e.g. report design)
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Master's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 5+ years of work experience in technology, business analysis, strategy/management consulting, or product management
- Experience directly managing others
- A love of data! Exceptional quantitative and analytical skill set
- Previous experience with: Data Warehousing, SQL Server, SSIS, SSAS OLAP cubes, and Microsoft SharePoint. Helpful, but not necessary to have additional experience with Stata and Tableau
- Fluency with technical process with a demonstrated ability to manage a development team and establish effective relationships with individuals in technical roles; including external developers and vendors
- Exceptional attention to detail and superior project management and backward planning experience; ability to balance multiple projects and priorities concurrently and ensure completion of high quality deliverables
- Thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements; deep concern and empathy for users and internal customers
- Understanding of software development processes including agile development, use cases, usability testing
- Demonstrated success in managing the development of web-based products that meet the needs of a diverse audience
- A love and appreciation of good design and aesthetics
- Exceptional strategic-thinking, creativity, and problem-solving ability in face of ambiguity
- Proven success in partnering with diverse stakeholders, across organizations and teams on complex, challenging projects with limited resources; Ability to operate as a team player
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to work with a geographically dispersed team and network
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools, systems, and processes quickly
- Previous experience or strong interest in K-12 public education
- A sense of humor, the ability to find joy in hard work on a tough problem, and a passionate belief in KIPP's mission
- Ability to exemplify KIPP’s values: sense of purpose, results, respect, constant learning and humility, and diversity and inclusivity
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Bridgestar - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard