ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
The ABA Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) seeks a Senior Program Manager for its Africa Division. This Senior Program Manager is responsible for oversight of its portfolio in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), which currently consists of thirteen (13) programs that largely focus on combatting impunity and increasing access to justice for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). More recently, the programs have expanded to focus on prison sector reform, violence prevention through early warning systems, case database systems, community-based paralegals, juvenile justice, and human rights impacts of large scale mining. ABA ROLI’s DRC programs are supported by diverse donors, including the US government, foreign governments, private foundations, and individual donors. The Senior Program Manager generally supervises DC-based program staff and coordinates closely with the field-based Country Director, Project Directors and staff. This position will require overseas travel.
Under the supervision of the Africa Division Director and in collaboration with colleagues in Washington DC and DRC, the Senior Program Manager will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the overall success of current DRC programs by providing programmatic support in the form of work plan development, program reporting, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Providing strategic direction and guidance to facilitate smooth program operations in DRC’s fast paced environment;
- Budgeting and financial oversight of all DRC programs;
- Leading the implementation of a new DRC strategic plan that will be developed by August 2013;
- Developing and assisting with the start-up of new programs in DRC, and helping to identify priority issue areas and opportunities;
- Supervising, mentoring, and collaborating with program staff;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with donors and local and international stakeholders;
- Business development, including establishing new donor contacts and soliciting grant funding;
- Serving as a spokesperson for the program together with the DRC Country Director and other staff before both national and international panels and with both U.S. and foreign media;
- Contributing and/or leading proposal writing for other countries in Africa, as needed.
- JD or Master’s Degree in international relations or relevant field required ;
- At least five years of relevant professional experience required ;
- Fluency French language skills (both oral and written) required ;
- Experience working on the Africa region required, particular experience in DRC strongly preferred ;
- Professional experience in the field strongly preferred ;
- Project management experience in international development field required , with a strong preference for experience in the rule of law and/or human rights field, including access to justice, women’s rights, combating sexual and gender-based violence, justice sector reform, and business and human rights;
- Strong analytical, strategic thinking, oral and written communication and research skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor staff and to coordinate teams;
- Proposal writing, budget drafting and fundraising experience required ;
- Candidate should have experience in workplan development, program design, monitoring and evaluating performance and impact;
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the US.
Global Jobs - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard