Pioneering Therapies, Transforming Lives . What does it mean to be part of the Thoratec Team? It means working in a fast-paced environment that inspires you. It means collaborating on projects that literally save patients' lives. We have an incredible opportunity for a Sr. Program Manager to work with our innovative PMO team in Pleasanton, CA
The Senior Program Manager will lead large -scale new product development programs from initial concept, through development and verification/validation testing, into manufacturing, and product launch. He/she will utilize technical experience, an acquired understanding of Thoratec systems and processes, and project management tools and techniques to work with functional managers, build project teams, plan and track projects to achieve expected project results of accurate planning, high quality execution, and on-time achievement of goals.
Strong team leadership abilities and interpersonal skills are required for satisfying internal and external customers. Leadership qualities must include the ability to facilitate team interactions and meetings, driving team members to make critical judgments and decisions on projects, and communicate information and status to management as well as to the project team. Expected behavioral qualities include a positive outlook and affinity for teamwork, logic, innovation, initiative, and self-sufficiency.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Lead cross-functional teams in developing comprehensive project plans (including optimizing the plan by negotiating content based on priorities, risk, resource, budget and timeframe constraints) for the design and development of new products or improvement of existing products.
- Create and maintain project documentation including design history files, status reports, meeting minutes, project schedules, changes, issues, phase-gate/design reviews, project work flow and presentations following internal design control requirements for large-sized cross functional projects.
- Resolve project and cross functional issues with the team and other management leaders demonstrating negotiation and resource management skills.
- Maintain familiarity with project management and industry standard practices and promote best practices.
- Track realized performance, make adjustments to align with shifting priorities and reporting to management.
- Represent the program team in the form of executive reviews and phase-gate checkpoints.
- Develop solutions to overcome project obstacles.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of PMO group processes.
- Participate in portfolio management and prioritization activities.
- Balance the needs of R&D, Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory Affairs, Sales, and Marketing in the context of New Product Development.
- Communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering discipline plus 12+ years of product development experience including 7 or more years in a program/project management role in new product development in Medical Devices (Class III, active implantable).
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
Why work for us?
- Formal training in project management and/or project management certification preferred (e.g. PMP)
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Familiarity with issues surrounding the design and production of medical electronics, as well as cardiovascular physiology, pathophysiology, and the biologic interface with an electrical device is advantageous.
For more than 30 years, Thoratec has been committed to developing advanced medical technologies to improve patient survival and quality of life. Thoratec provides the broadest mechanical circulatory support portfolio to treat the full range of clinical needs. From acute to chronic heart failure, Thoratec offers proven device-based therapies to provide a new beginning for patients and their families. We value people who are passionate about collaboration, creativity, and quality. We give back to our community and help people live healthy lifestyles through support, education, involvement, and participation.
Thoratec employs more than
700 people worldwide. We are based in Pleasanton, California, with facilities in Burlington and Waltham, Massachusetts; Sunnyvale and Rancho Cordova, California; Cambridgeshire, UK; and Zurich, Switzerland.
Thoratec Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Thoratec Corporation (Thoratec) is a manufacturer of mechanical circulatory support products for use by patients with heart failure (HF)....