Reports To: Associate Vice President, Project Integration and Delivery
Department: Information Technology
Location: Charles Town, WV
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Posted: January 1, 2013
Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
American Public University System (APUS) is seeking a Senior Project Manager with strong project management, technical, business and personal leadership skills to lead multiple Information Technology (IT) initiatives that impact students, faculty, and/or one or more departments within the University. The candidate should have strong analytical skills with the ability to understand and interpret customer requirements, develop business solutions, provide team guidance and ensure adherence to project timelines and budgets.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Interprets customer business needs and determines if re-engineering processes are appropriate and what technologies may best meet the need.
- Identifies, coordinates and manages stakeholders and resources for each project and is perceived as a strong project leader.
- Defines and creates project plans for project, portfolio, and product prioritization and implementation.
- Evaluates trade-offs between project size and complexity, cost, urgency, risk, and stakeholder value.
- Partners with University business sponsors to define success metrics and criteria.
- Builds, leads, and coaches multiple project teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Facilitates all operational checkpoint activities throughout the lifecycle of projects.
- Assesses and resolves all high priority project risks as they are identified.
- Ensures all projects adhere to project methodology compliance standards set by the University.
- Continually updates relevant business stakeholders of project status.
- Ensures all projects meet success parameters and return on investment targets stated in business case.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Strong analytical and project management skills, including the ability to interpret customer business needs and determine if reengineering processes is appropriate and what technologies may best meet the departmental need.
- Strong ability to plan and manage the delivery of business change and technical solutions that are determined appropriate.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodology as well as more formalized waterfall-style Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Must be able to identify, coordinate and manage stakeholders and resources for project and be perceived as a strong project leader.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to collaborate with end-users and IT resources to drive initiatives to a timely conclusion with an emphasis on quality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact professionally with diverse groups, including executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- The ability to successfully handle multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently as well as a role player or leader in a team environment.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or business administration required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or an advanced degree in one of these fields is preferred.
- Minimum five years experience managing projects with Web Operations, Content Management Systems, Financial Systems, and/or dynamic Application Development, preferably in Higher Education.
- Experience with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Experience in business process development and reengineering, budgeting, resource allocation and administrative operations.
- Demonstrated success partnering across business functions to drive project implementations.
- Experience leading in a high-performance, customer-centric culture focused on service, innovation, efficiency and productivity.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite products including: Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio.
American Public University System - 22 months ago