The Senior Project Manager will define scope, initiate, and manage large complex and business critical areas of project work while supporting business and program management staff. The scope of the projects can involve 10-30 + FTE (equivalent of full-time) staff, and may have a duration of up to 2 years. It will primarily involve incremental technology changes impacting an entire product line or infrastructure and incremental customer change involving discrete groups of customers (e.g. by region, market needs or product line). Project Management has a set of defined Project Management Competencies and relevant skills required for this and other project management roles.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Scope and Impact
- Define, document, and execute projects of higher risk, complexity and visibility; actively participating in all phases of the project.
- Identify, assess, and manage risks to the success of the project.
- Draft feasibility studies and statements of work; perform and document risk assessments.
- May develop or assist in developing business cases for large projects.
- Responsible for producing all typical project documentation – detailed project plans, work plans, schedules, project estimates, conversion schedules, resource plans, and status reports.
- Define project scope and objectives.
- Has responsibility to ensure project deliverables are demonstrably fit for purpose.
- Gain commitments to ensure corrective actions are taken if costs, timescales, or resources deviate from agreed tolerances.
- Manage the change control procedure gaining agreement for revisions to the project from project stakeholders and ensure the full impact of significant changes are understood by project stakeholders.
- Ensures all parties are aware of project scope and milestones. Highlights divergence from scope, and adjusts it where necessary to reflect changing circumstances, acts as communication liaison.
- Management of Third-Party Suppliers.
- Lead the definition, delivery and/or deployment phases of the PDS Delivery Framework.
- Initiating and managing multiple large projects in parallel, based in multiple locations and with multiple dependencies in & out, with little to no supervision.
- Works with functional units and/or competencies to coordinate staffing to align with requirements.
- As requested, assists management with staffing including resource planning, forecasting, and recruiting.
- Analyzes capacity planning across projects.
- Uses influence to eliminate bottlenecks and potential resource alignment problems.
- Deliver projects to support PDS ’ ability to achieve revenue and margin targets.
- Manage projects and small programs within the PDS Delivery Framework standards to time, quality, and budget.
- Successfully work across various parts of the organization to achieve goals.
- May have line management responsibility.
Certifications / Education
- Expert: Project Delivery, Project Risk Management, Project Communication, Improving Project Performance
- Fully Competent: Project Staff Management
- Working Knowledge: Organizational Change, Third Party Supplier Management
· Professional certification such as Project Management Professional (PMP) from the Project Management Institute is highly desirable.
· ITIL V3 Foundation certification is desirable.
· University degree level education preferred.
Experience in proactively managing multiple projects in parallel and successfully delivering to agreed time, quality, and scope. Experience in a consultitative role / organization is highly desirable.
Technical Project Management Experience
Experience planning and leading projects with three or more of the following technologies is desirable:
Cisco, Citrix, F5, HP, IBM
Cisco, HP, IBM
3PAR, EMC, HP, NetApp, Symantec
Citrix, EMC, Microsoft, Novell, Symantec, VMware, Cisco (UC)
Driving Results Focusing on Customers
Inspiring Others Setting Direction “Big-Picture” Thinking
PDS is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer