Project Management at TransCore is defined as the exercise of:
The Project Manager is responsible for project planning, estimating, tracking and management. The Project Manager works closely with business functional stakeholders, external customers and vendors in defining systems/project priorities, scope, approach, resource requirements, schedule and funding. The Project Manager has a mandate to fully manage resources within the context of a project including technology, vendors, partners, budget, and project staff.
- Responsibility and decision-making about a project
- Authority to execute within the boundaries of the project
- Accountability to deliver the results of a project in the context of agreed-upon customer expectations, commitments and constraints
- Manages project execution so that:
- Project deliverables are of a high quality and meet the expectations of the stakeholders
- Projects are delivered in the most efficient manner possible
- Projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Project deliverables are deployed and turned over to the organization smoothly and efficiently
- TransCore policies, standards and best practices are adhered to
- Develop project scope to effectively capture and communicate the project requirements to stakeholders and project staff
- Prepare schedule and cost estimates that are timely and accurate
- Prepare project plans that guide project execution to a successful conclusion
- Identify project staffing needs and assists in the formation of effective project teams
- Assign tasks to project staff in a manner that optimizes team performance
- Identify and procure resources necessary to complete projects
- Proactively detect and evaluate issues/risks, including when business objectives and requirements are at odds with technical actions and decisions. Implement appropriate mitigation strategies that may involve compromises with respect to scope and schedule
- Communicate project information including approach, progress, forecasts, and issues to stakeholders in a timely and effective manner
- Manage project teams - track performance, provide feedback, motivate staff and coordinate changes to enhance project performance
- Provide guidance to projects on best practices and standards to utilize
- Project Manage Agile
- Develop projects
Provide leadership in the Project Management Office (PMO) including mentoring of junior Project Managers
Specific Job Skills
- Provide assistance and expertise to Product Management as needed
- Provide assistance and expertise to IT Management as needed
- Provide assistance and expertise to Sales and Marketing as needed
- Interview and provide assessments of potential hires
- Perform other duties as assigned
Must be well versed in IT technologies and best practices. Must be highly proficient with project management best practices and tools. Must have excellent human resource management skills. Must possess the ability to lead, work with teams, be part of a team, and understand team dynamics. Skills in requirements analysis and solution architecture are highly desirable. The Project Manager should have diverse business knowledge and the ability to illustrate the linkage between projects and desired business results. Excellent communications skills, both presentational and written, are required. Must be able to effectively speak to all audiences, from shop floor employees to executive management. Must be able to work effectively with a wide variety of professional staff from varied discipline and industries. Must be results oriented, hard working, quick to demonstrate success, organized, focused and persistent.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Education and / or Experience
Bachelors degree in computer science or other equivalent engineering or science field, plus six years of experience in IT where the incumbent developed significant skills and knowledge of the computing industry. MBA is desirable. Must be proficient in the areas of software development, analysis, client management, and human resource management and planning. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is highly desirable.
TransCore - 16 months ago
Transportation systems affect our lives everyday—the logistics systems that expedite bringing goods to market, traffic...