ESPN is seeking an experienced, energetic and creative Senior Publicist to support the overall communications strategies for the company’s advertising sales, affiliate sales and marketing, consumer marketing and research areas. The ideal candidate will bring at least four years of public relations experience, including existing relationships with business, sports, television and trade press, a strong understanding of the digital space, and outstanding communications skills. Superb writing skills, self-motivation and an unwavering results orientation are also essential.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen and launched on September 7, 1979. Now with over 6,500 employees, each year ESPN televises more than 5,100 live and/or original hours of sports programming. The company’s mission is to serve sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
• Support Senior Director in all press activities related to ESPN’s customer marketing and ad sales, affiliate sales and marketing, consumer marketing and research areas.
• Help create, develop and execute publicity strategies for those departments to help drive their respective business goals.
• Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes creating regular new material for ESPN’s internal employee website and ESPN Front Row, the company’s outward-facing corporate blog.
• Maintain relationships with key members of the media in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, emerging technologies and non-traditional media (Twitter, blogs).
• Interact with executives in assigned departments to keep abreast of program strategies and plans, and to deal with communications issues that arise.
• Maximize social media and online tools to more effectively communicate with press and consumers.
• Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
• Develop internal and external messaging on key issues.
• Advise company spokespersons regarding their communication on key issues, and guide them in their interaction with media.
• When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media.
• Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate executives of important developments.
• Maintain and improve executive visibility by identifying speaking and industry recognition opportunities.
• Build strong internal relationships to collaboratively work across teams and departments.
• Collaborate with designated PR representatives from key clients and business partners to drive shared business goals.
• Promote ESPN3 and WatchESPN products and assist with overall goals of ESPN’s digital business.
• Develop press materials, including press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, press events, and related communication.
• Maintain press lists and create results reports related to specific initiatives.
• At least 4yrs experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events.
• Expertise/familiarity with social media channels.
• Exceptional, proven writing skills an absolute must.
• Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
• Must understand the ESPN brand as well as competitive brands in both traditional and emerging sectors, especially TV, online, wireless.
• Strong knowledge of PR field including experience in media relations, press campaign development, issue management and execution of creative, strategic and well-thought communications plans.
• Basic knowledge of television business, including but not limited to ratings, advertising, marketing, emerging technologies, (ie digital services, HDTV, VOD, authentication), web and digital entertainment.
• General knowledge of cable industry public policy and regulation.
• Passion for sports, television and media.
• General knowledge of inter-department relationships and business issues including but not limited to programming, production, ad sales and affiliate relations.
• Disciplined organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
• Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment.
• Proactive self-starter who works well within a team, strong interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to travel as needed for work/production/events.
• Ability to work under pressure of time constraints.
• Strong business ethics.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or other relevant areas.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
ESPN, Inc. The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest...