Provide computer and software support for researchers at the Waimea (Kauai) and Kunia (Oahu) Research Centers. The consultant will work with project leaders to support data management and software needs of research clients. |
The successful applicant will be part of a team providing software support for researchers working in nursery and doubled haploid development areas of the Crop Genetics Research and Development Division. He/She will serve as the primary support contact for the Hawaiian Research centers. He/She will be expected to help researchers manage information effectively by analyzing needs, providing ad-hoc reporting, proactively communicate solutions, software troubleshooting, validation, documentation and providing training and support in the use of software and database applications.
Education and Experience
B.S. degree in plant breeding/genetics, biology, agronomy, or computer science fields and 2-4 years of work experience is required. Equivalent amounts of relevant education and experience will be considered.
• Educational background and work experience in plant breeding, genetics, molecular biology, and statistics.
• Demonstrated advanced application of Excel and Access for processing, analysis and presentation of research data.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage priorities in multi-task work environment.
• Familiarity with personal computer software, handheld data collection devices, client-server technology, internet technology and their application to plant breeding and genetics.
• Basic understanding of relational databases and ability to extract and summarize large amounts of data.
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
• Computer user education or similar training/teaching experience.
• Knowledge and skill in DNA marker technologies and their application to applied plant breeding programs is an advantage.
• Inter-island and some overnight travel will be required.
Pioneer - 17 months ago
Forget T-bills and mutual funds. Pioneer Hi-Bred International, a subsidiary of chemical giant DuPont, boasts the best yields. One of the...