The International Food Policy Research Institute is recruiting a Senior Research Fellow in its Environment and Production Technology Division to lead an interdisciplinary research group focused on developing the evidence base for improved agricultural investment choices, with a primary focus on Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), but also including South Asia and global assessments; and utilizing the data in research on agricultural technologies and constraints to agricultural productivity growth. This is three -year, fixed term, renewable appointment based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington, D.C. but will involves significant travel to Africa and elsewhere.
The evidence base and research program is developed using multiple methods, including a range of spatial, statistical and household survey information and analytical tools to assess the distribution and performance of farming systems, the extent and severity of productivity constraints, and the potential productivity, economic and environmental consequences of the adoption of improved technologies and practices. A wide variety of data products is emerging from this strand of analyses and made available through public, web-based platforms.
The successful candidate will spend his or her time among three key tasks: manage this large, complex data and research portfolio, liaise with stakeholders on the ground as well as with donors, policymakers and investors, and publish findings in peer-reviewed journal articles. The successful candidate will also be responsible for continued evolution and future funding of these research efforts within the broader context of the CGIAR Research Program on Policies, Institutions and Markets (CRP2) and the IFPRI Strategy.
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economic Geography or closely related discipline with 10-15 years of development-focused research experience.
- Strong and relevant publication record
- Demonstrated understanding of agricultural development issues, processes, and institutions
- Demonstrated ability to manage large projects or programs
- Commitment to open access and active dissemination of data, methods, tools and analytical approaches
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a team-oriented perspective
- Evidence of innovation/creativity in developing a stakeholder-centered agenda
- Strong interest in smallholder technology evaluation at a strategic-scale using multiple methods and tools
- Knowledge of the application and potential of GIS/spatial analysis and biophysical/bioeconomic modeling to contribute to smallholder productivity evaluation.
French as a second working language
IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) - 22 months ago