The International Finance Corporation is the largest global development institution that is focused exclusively on the private sector. Part of the World Bank Group, IFC’s vision is that people should have the opportunity to escape poverty and improve their lives. IFC finances private sector investments, mobilizes capital in international financial markets, facilitates trade, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advisory services to businesses and governments. IFC has significantly strengthened its focus on measuring development results over recent years, driving our strategy, operations and staff incentives. A results-focused culture expands the value we bring to our clients and beneficiaries, helps foster best practice among development finance institutions, and demonstrates IFC’s development impact to all stakeholders.
The Results Measurement Network plays a critical role in the success of IFC’s mission. Staff in the Network, located across the institution, measures, monitors, and evaluates operations and their results; develops methodologies to support these functions; and sets global standards for measurements. In addition, the Network staff ensures that results, lessons and evidence continuously inform strategy, operations and incentives across the organization, supporting the alignment of IFC’s intended and actual impact and the achievement of IFC’s mission. In partnership with Advisory Global Product Specialists/Investment Industry Specialists, the Results Measurement function is responsible for the development of standard RM frameworks; contributes to global BL/industry strategies and target setting, provides quality assurance input; and disseminates lessons and results.
The Global SME Finance Initiative is a 7-year program launched in March 2012 to act as a catalytic investment and technical assistance platform to scale up SME financing through advisory services for banks targeting SMEs, for the development of financial infrastructure, and through investments for banks under an SME Finance Facility (the Facility) to help them mitigate the risks of moving into more challenging, under-served SME markets.
We are seeking to recruit a Results Measurement Specialist who can make critical contributions to develop a robust Monitoring and Results Measurement plan for SME Finance, and support monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities for both investment and advisory services under the Global SME Finance Initiative. The new M&E approach is expected to set the standard for evaluating SME lending initiatives at IFC. The Specialist will be part of the IFC Results Measurement Network.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Department is looking for a Senior Results Measurement Specialist, who will report to the Head, CAISM, having a minimum of 8 years in Results Measurement or in investment or economic finance in a challenging environment.
This is a leadership, management and strategic oversight role, ensuring overall consistency and quality of results measurement, evaluation, and the appropriate use of development results data to inform investment and advisory decision-making and strategies across the A2F business line or industry segment while adhering to internal policies. The candidate is expected to have expertise in banking, investment and/or advisory services and have an understanding of results measurement of the Financial Services sector in the context of development.
In this role, the incumbent, supporting the development and implementation of operations and strategies across Investment and Advisory Services within the industry/business line:
Development, oversight and coordination of Results Measurement Frameworks
• Leads development of product and sector-related results measurement frameworks, methodologies and indicators, in particular IFC Development Goals (IDGs) target setting and reporting, to establish a robust monitoring and results measurement plan for the SME Finance Initiative. The framework under this plan will link project objectives to M&E indicators, including the definition of an approach to establish plausible attribution of results. This should also include the development of methodologies, survey design and sampling of indicators to support capacity building and qualitative metrics to measure job creation at the project and program level. Work closely with the Initiative’s Coordination Unit, the Financial Markets Facility and Financial Markets (FM) strategy team, project teams, CDI and coordinate with the Access to Finance M&E Advisory Global Lead.
• Leads the oversight for design, development, management and implementation of in-depth operational/portfolio/project assessments and/or evaluations; conduct bi-annual assessments/reports, mid-term review(s) and post completion evaluations; provide lessons learned or thematic briefs as relevant for access to finance learning on SME Finance.
• Leads the dialogue with donors/external partners on designing a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework that would best capture the Initiative’s impact on both investment and advisory operation while taking into consideration client relationship issues.
• Ensures that robust, consistent performance metrics are used across all operations under the Initiative, from design to completion working closely with each project team and the client to find practical, effective ways to collect needed data. Maintain alignment with the Facility’s indicators for Investment operations, in consultation with the FM strategy team.
• Supports diagnostics, design and implementation of M&E advisory projects across the Initiative, in coordination with local operations teams. Prepare terms of reference for M&E advisory work at the project level and manage consultants as appropriate.
• Establish mechanisms to ensure that relevant information from the M&E activities is analyzed and shared with clients in a useful format that may inform client operations.
• Provides clear guidance and project quality reviews at entry/implementation (Concept Review Meeting, Implementation Plan) of projects within the Initiative, and help set accordant performance baselines and targets. In addition to quantitative analysis, provide informed qualitative analyses of projects at entry and throughout supervision ensuring quality and consistency of results measurement across regions and products.
• Monitors development effectiveness ratings; actively monitor project completion report (PCR) flow; working with operations teams, and supporting PCR review meetings led by the regions and headquarters. Engage with IEG, CDI and operations staff to help provide key data/evidence to support PCR ratings; support learning from evaluations/PCRs and help provide feedback/analyses to help enhance project design/ quality at entry.
Reporting of Results
• Ensures quality and consistency of project documents.
• Ensures compliance with disclosure policy.
• Produces regular reporting of aggregate results based on donor requirements, working in close coordination with the Initiative’s team.
• Oversees design, development and implementation of sector and product-specific evaluations, providing thought leadership and problem solving as appropriate.
• Provides input into IFC evaluation strategy.
• Ensures that results information is fed into Access to Finance’s and Financial Market’s strategy and operational decisions.
• Manages and develops a team of direct and indirect reports.
• Oversees regional design support for performance monitoring systems, data collection instruments, evaluations and operations research.
• Coordinates training activities on Results Measurement.
• Disseminates evaluation findings from the SME Finance Initiative, sharing best practices and results with internal and external clients.
Advanced degree in social science, international development, finance or business administration, or equivalent professional qualification relevant to the access to finance advisory services and/or financial sector investment services
• 8 years of relevant experience with private sector operations, results measurement and/or project
• Experience working in the financial sector and/or direct client-focused work
• Advanced understanding and ability to apply the following competencies in a full range of situations:
• Knowledge of results measurements methods
• Application and development of policies and procedures
• Project management skills to manage projects within the results measurement functions as part of the SME Finance Initiative and to ensure completion of projects.
• Problem solving by examination from multiple angles, taking stakeholders perspectives into account, considering various solutions and making informed, credible and actionable decisions
• Familiarity with IFC’s corporate mission and operations is preferred
• Produce and interpret strategic information
• Oral and written communications
• Knowledge of specialized or organizational-specific technologies, software, databases and systems
• Complete understanding and ability to apply the following competencies in a full range of situations:
• Expertise and knowledge of the history, context, trends, concerns and on-going events within IFC Global Industry (GI)/Business Line (BL) strategies
• Corporate contributions, such as those related to strategy documents, and donor reporting
• Demonstrated ability to:
• Leverage organizational knowledge to persuade and influence others across organizational boundaries, investing personal energy and time in building buy-in to ideas, strategic direction or key decisions
• Develop ideas and solutions through the incorporation of information from a wide array of sources
• Build partnerships for success, through engaging in open debate with key stakeholders to conceptualize or build long-term solutions that benefit clients; and to advance the results measurement agenda, challenging others where necessary
• Meet client needs, including strong interpersonal skills
Additional specialty requirements:
• Excellent database management and computer skills (especially Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Power Point and Microsoft Access)
Only on line applications will be accepted. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
IFC - 11 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....