This position will be a grade level 6-9 depending upon experience.
In addition to being the hazmat subject matter expert for the organization, the primary responsibility for a Risk Manager/Sr. Risk Manager is to identify risk and influence change within the insureds organization to eliminate risks that may result in property damage, injury, or legal liability. In addition to Hazmat, OSHA, and DOT compliance, the risk manager provides consultative support to the insured regarding safety issues including, but not limited to safety policies, training, injury mitigation, accident mitigation, root cause analysis, incentive programs, safety campaigns, and progressive disciplinary processes. The Sr. Risk Manager will act as a mentor to risk management associates.
- Individual will be responsible for providing risk management services to National Interstate insureds across various product lines, including captive (alternative risk) customers.
- Communicate to senior management within NIIC and the motor carrier as to what risk issues exist and provide a plan to minimize risk.
- Conduct On Site inspections and complete a Risk Assessment Score by evaluating the Safety Culture, Best Practices, BASIC scores, and losses.
- Provide comprehensive reports with your findings and recommendations to the insured and to NIIC management.
- Proactively follow up on critical recommendations to ensure they are addressed with appropriate action plans.
- Provide consultation to insureds on all safety matters to assist them with reducing or eliminating their risks.
- Manage vendors when assignment is necessary to ensure NIIC Best Practices are followed.
- Complete analysis of loss data, claim reviews, large losses and communicate trends.
- Investigate risks, exposures and accidents using root cause analysis.
- Review large loss reports to ensure steps for further accident prevention or injury mitigation are put in place.
- Provide Hazmat training to individual and group captives, product management, and risk managers through webinars, on site visits, group or individual presentations, and other meetings where safety may be a topic.
- Present or assist with the development of presentations as a subject matter expert at industry seminars, safety workshops, board meetings or other safety meetings.
- Provide Risk Management Services orientation to new or prospective accounts/agents.
- Acts as a mentor and/or subject matter expert for less experienced Risk Managers.
Projects and Other Duties as Assigned
- Ensure on site evaluations are completed professionally and all risk management information is entered into the Risk Management Tracker timely.
- Ensure updates on critical recommendations are provided to Risk Management Manager, Product Management, and Sr. Management in accordance with Best Practices.
- Provide Risk Management with monthly report regarding critical issues, site visits scheduled/completed, training, and other relevant topics.
- Participate in projects involving Risk Management.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university required.
- Minimum five years of extensive experience with transportation safety or loss control.
- 7 to 10 years prior Hazmat experience in a DOT or Loss Control Capacity.
- Insurance coverage and risk management knowledge.
- Possess extensive working knowledge of DOT & OSHA regulations.
- Possess extensive working knowledge of industry terminology, practices, and procedures within the loss control field.
- Familiar with truck or public transportation industry.
- Not required, but helpful to possess CSP, ARM or APA.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management and policyholders.
- Ability to act as ambassador for National Interstate.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Possess high degree of independent judgment and latitude.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency working with internet and online services.
- Ability and willingness to learn new computer software programs such as Point.
- Travel Requirements: 41-50%
National Interstate - 18 months ago