Note: The successful candidate will report to our corporate office and work from home in the Morgantown, West Virginia area.
Under limited supervision, the Senior Safety and Loss Control Specialist conducts loss analysis and research prior to conducting on-site occupational safety and loss prevention surveys of work sites to assess the employer's safety efforts and to detect occupational safety hazards to employees. The Senior Safety and Loss Control Specialist prepares and submits reports of findings to management and underwriting, makes recommendations to management to correct workplace hazards and safety program needs; recognizes conditions or exposures which need an industrial hygiene evaluation; participates in safety training programs; and provides underwriting with risk assessments in support of underwriting determinations.
The Senior Safety and Loss Control Specialist works with senior management of larger, more complex accounts that require special expertise. The Senior Specialist provides oversight to Safety and Loss Control Specialists and Safety and Loss Control Trainees as needed, reviewing reports and letters.
The items listed are essential functions of the position unless otherwise stated
Consults with employers to improve occupational safety programs and performance leading to a safer and healthier workplace.
Maintains a positive working relationship with employers and employees and communicates effectively with employers’ senior management.
Develops and conducts management safety training programs; may develop areas of specialization such as ergonomics, process safety hazard analysis, etc., with approval.
Develops a loss control service plan with goals and objectives for each assigned employer.
Provides underwriters with information concerning the level of safety of employers.
Guides and trains new representatives; reviews reports and letters prepared by new representatives prior to release.
Guides and directs support staff in research projects, loss analysis and special projects.
Evaluates employer safety programs and work sites for hazardous conditions.
Conducts Industrial Hygiene testing with sound level meters and more complex testing equipment.
Develops and conducts management safety training program and presentations to new and existing employers, including preparation of curriculum and audio visual materials.
Researches literature, standards, laws, and rules to provide employers with solutions to safety related problems.
Develops cost effective methods to correct hazardous conditions.
Analyzes loss information to determine accident trends and provides employers with effective solutions.
Assists with the leadership and motivation of the professional and support staff.
For new accounts, provides underwriting with accurate and timely reports on the hazards and the effectiveness of controls and the willingness of the employer to comply with recommendations to control hazards.
Reviews loss records of employers to determine allocation of service resources and directs resources to those employers with poor or deteriorating experience.
Keeps underwriting apprised of any changes in hazards or exposures through copies of reports to employers and special reports to underwriting.
Responds to requests from employers, underwriters, and other agencies in a timely fashion regarding safety issues.
Communicates ideas and issues with management to reach a successful agreement through innovation, creativity, and compromise.
Nonessential function: other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the various core elements within the occupational safety and industrial hygiene process.
- Knowledge of effective safety program management.
- Knowledge of risk management as it relates to safety and industrial hygiene as an overall function of business in planning, leading, and directing its operations.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Knowledge of workers' compensation laws, policies and rules, and understanding of the principles of insurance and risk management.
- Knowledge of the basics of guaranteed cost, deductibles, retrospective rating plans and the impact of accident prevention on each plan.
- Knowledge of the rating systems, methods of calculating experience modification factors and the elements of each formula.
- Knowledge of the U. S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics loss information, formulas and principles of calculating incidence rates for employers.
- Knowledge of basic business financial principles to analyze cost effectiveness and return on investment of recommended solutions to hazards and exposures.
- Skills to conduct workplace safety inspections and assess situations quickly.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employers, policyholders, regulatory agencies, and labor communities.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and to use spreadsheet, presentation, database manager, and word processing software.
- Ability to analyze basic claims data to determine accident trends and to develop programs to respond to adverse trends.
- Ability to compile, analyze, and report on findings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of Federal OSHA or MSHA standards.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
Applications must be received by 5 PM, Tuesday, July 30, 2013.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid occupational safety management experience in industry or insurance. This experience must be related to occupational safety or loss control prevention and can include industrial hygiene.
- Preference may be shown to applicants with a Master's degree in Safety or Industrial Hygiene from an accredited college or university. Education may be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), and Certification as an Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Associated Safety Professional (ASP) are desired.
- Prior safety related work experience with higher education institutions preferred.
- Ergonomic experience preferred.
Brickstreet Mutual Insurance - 4 months ago