Description: The Senior Scientist, Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) will have responsibility to interact with Organized Customer Group Directors and Leaders within Diabetes brand teams and with Medical Affairs to design and implement innovative Real World Evidence(RWE)/HEOR strategies and activities and to produce (or direct production of) scientific evidence for reimbursement dossiers and market access in the US. The position will assist communication efforts of value proposition and evidence to achieve maximal commercial success of products throughout their life cycle. The job holder will have in-depth, expert knowledge of RWE/HEOR (which will also include payer analytics tools such as input to RCT & RWE design & analyses, systematic reviews, meta-analyses, indirect and mixed treatment comparisons) and its application throughout development process. |
* Evaluate and analyze information and generate high quality RWE and health economics (HE) input to the US brand strategy, payer-related evidence plan and market access & pricing strategy.
* Proactively and independently contribute to research planning process and resolution of complex issues, which may impact market access decisions and evidence for product. Handle unforeseen circumstances and actively monitor and apply new analytical techniques.
* Member of the brand team, when assigned as lead Health Economist for project.
* Member of Diabetes Alliance team when assigned as lead Health Economist for project
* Support US RWE Development function including US RWE "add on data" IDN collaborations
* Take on HE leadership of activities, deliverables and work-streams.
* Provide leadership and expertise to resolve issues identified by the Brand Team or Project Teams.
* Interact with US cross-functional team members (eg, commercial, MASD) at a project level and represents health economics in those interactions.
* Responsible for coaching and mentoring colleagues in department
* Identifies and effectively uses internal and external data sources and literature references to build payer reimbursable dossiers and payer value propositions.
* Prepares proposal requests for RWE/HEOR work projects and manages selection process.
* Budgeting responsibility for RWE/HEOR projects.
* Responsible for project management in collaboration with academic researchers and clinical research organizations to time, budget, and quality. Participates in preparation for US payer meetings including work materials & presentations.
* Prepares technical presentations and is active in engaging with the external environment in improving the state of the discipline.
* Assists in writing preparations, references, and development of reimbursement/formulary documents.
* Prepares HE data as background materials for discussion with payer authorities.
* Develops expertise in RWE/HEOR through publications and presentations of scientific research.
* Collaboration with Field Medical Affairs teams, as required, to compile evidence required to satisfy payer requirements
* Generation of core value documents, communication materials, publications for use with decision makers and purchasers.
* Review of independent investigator proposals to incorporate relevant real world evidence, health economic and/or outcomes research components consistent with local clinical development and Phase IV requirements.
* Interaction with Medical Affairs & Strategic Development personnel to assist with background materials for consideration by FDA and DDMAC departments.
* Interaction with Medical Resources staff and Medical Affairs & Strategic Development/ policy/government staff to identify research activities and/or evidence to advance health care system quality initiatives, clinical guidelines, and pay for performance assessments.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Bachelor's degree in clinical, biological, or social sciences
Masters degree in relevant field (outcomes research, health services research, epidemiology, health economics, health policy or related fields)
Doctoral degree in relevant field preferred
Ten years of relevant experience, five of the years in the pharmaceutical/medical industry
Previous project management or personnel management preferred
Skills and Capabilities
Experience in the Diabetes Payer space would be of value -- I will let you develop the language for key skill preferred.
* In-depth expert knowledge of RWE and HEOR and its application to pharmaceutical development within the US market especially economic modeling, evidence synthesis and other analytical techniques required to support payer needs, particularly in the diabetes therapeutic area
* Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory requirements.
* Knowledge of US healthcare systems and their changing needs for health economic and payer analytic information.
* Strong knowledge of legal and regulatory environment influencing clinical development plans, labeling and promotional claims.
* Knowledge of and expertise in collaboration with more than one function and how these contribute to achievement of business objectives.
* Leadership skills and problem solving capability as demonstrated by ability to evaluate threats and opportunities for Health Economics strategy and modify as appropriate.
* Well-developed conceptual and integrative thinking with capability to access internal and external resources for advice.
* Proactive application of therapeutic area and disease treatment knowledge
* Able to implement projects, including engagement with key stakeholders, with high degree of autonomy
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
AstraZeneca Leadership Capabilities (target level 3)
* Passion for Customers
* Thinks Strategically
* Acts Decisively
* Drives Performance
* Works Collaboratively
* Develops People and Organization
Payer and RWE Key Technical Capabilities
* Generating Payer Insight (target level Professional)
* Integrating value into Clinical Trial Design (target level Expert)
* Synthesizing and analyzing evidence (target level Expert)
Internal and External Contacts/Customers
Internal -- some examples of internal contacts/customers are:
Diabetes Chief Medical Officer
Exec, Sr, andDirectors of Medical Affairs
Exec. and Sr.Director Healthcare Alliances
Field Medical Affairs staff
Medical Information Managers
Development Brand Leader
Managed Markets Team
External -- some examples of external contacts/customers are:
Integrated Delivery Networks
Government reimbursement and pricing authorities
CROs and Academic Investigators
FDA, Health and Human Services (Centers for Medicare Services), Agency for HealthCare Quality and Evidence Based Practice Centers, payers.
AstraZeneca - 13 months ago
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (which does business as AstraZeneca US) can help with a full alphabet of ailments. The company, a subsidiary of...