This individual is responsible for designing, developing and applying methods for the production and characterization of proteins for human therapeutic use. The Senior Scientist I develops and scales up isolation and purification processes for bioproducts with careful consideration of platform and novel technologies to enhance efficacy of process development. PLEASE REFER TO JOB CODE 13112 WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.:
• Designs purification strategies for recombinant therapeutic proteins.
• Designs, manages and/or performs protein structure characterization methods, including but not limited to methods using high performance liquid chromatography and/or mass spectrometry.
• Manages internal therapeutic protein production activities.
• Assist in planning and running external process and/or method development studies
• Interacts with other Research and Development teams to design expression constructs for recombinant therapeutic proteins.
• Interacts with cross-functional representatives to manage Chemistry Manufacturing and Control activities at Acorda.
Education and/or Experience: :
• Master's degree in a biological science, or related field, required with at least 10 – 18 years of progressive experience required.
• Ph.D. in a biological science, or related field, preferred with at least five to eight years of progressive experience preferred.
• Prior experience with protein process and analytical development and therapeutic protein production required.
• Knowledge of protein activity, purity and structure quantification/characterization techniques required.
• Prior experience working with Contract Research Organizations and Contract Manufacturing Organizations preferred.
• This individual supervises Process Development and/or Protein Biochemistry Associates and Scientists.
• Experience in developing expression, purification and characterization processes for recombinant therapeutic proteins is required.
• Experience in small molecule process and analytical development is preferred..
• Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
• Working knowledge of GE Healthcare Unicorn software is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations::
Other Skills and Abilities::
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary.
• Basic understanding of biostatistics is required.
• Must have ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively contribute to project teams.
• This individual must have a high level of initiative, independence and the ability to work under minimal supervision, in a fast-paced environment.
Location: Corporate Office:
This position requires the ability to work 5 days per week on site in the Corporate Office in Ardsley, NY.
Physical Demands: :
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
No specific physical demands.
Work Environment: :
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Must be able to work in a laboratory environment while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Acorda Therapeutics - 20 months ago