San Diego Role synopsis Fermentation Scientist responsible for the design, optimization and establishment of commercial fermentation processes for the production of Biofuels.
The Fermentation Scientist will be responsible for collecting, analysing and providing insight and assurance on the experimental fermentation aspects of BP’s Biofuels business technology portfolio; principally dealing with heterologous expression in bacteria, yeast and filamentous fungi. The overall aim is to ensure that a sustainable technology pipeline is developed which appropriately supports the Biofuels business strategy and goals. Key accountabilities • Collect and critically analyze data from fermentation scaled experimental program
Value Creator – Focuses their energy on the actions that will give the greatest return, showing pace, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Take appropriate risks and tries out new ways of solving problems.
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of developing a commercial process fermentation and or process from the bench top to commercial scale
- Designing and executing experimental programs
- Work in an open, team-oriented environment
- Participate in and lead Projects and Project teams to develop products and processes for Biofuels
- Influencing others to accomplish project goals within a matrixed organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
- Managing a team of 2-3 direct reports within the Bioscale-up group
- Analyzing and redefining procedures in accordance with industry “best practices”. Essential Education Minimum B.S. in related field Essential experience and job requirements • Experience in fermentation plant operations, process development or applied research are required.
- Experience in operation and management of commercial scale (50000L+) fermentation processes.
- Experience in heterologous expression in bacteria, yeast or filamentous fungi.
- Solid understanding of key drivers of fermentation performance.
- Strong project and program management skills.
- Strong influencing skills including the ability to work within a matrixed organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
- Expertise in design of experiments or process modelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands and work successfully in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment.
- Strong track record of interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Personal credibility with colleagues and associates.
- Promotes HSSE at work and in dealing with other business partners. Other essential skills and knowledge Biofuels Competencies:
Great Partner - Builds strong and enduring partnerships based upon excellence in what they do, sound decision making and strong negotiation skills.
Develop Others - Gets the very best out of people in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term development with the longer term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business
Operational Excellence - Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations Desirable criteria & qualifications All as above. Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only Travel required Yes - up to 25% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
In Biofuels, our business in conventional products such as bio-ethanol is already substantial, accounting for about 10% of the world market. However, as well as providing today's biofuels, we're also developing tomorrow's. We are investing $500 million over 10 years in the Energy Biosciences Institute to explore options for advanced biofuels and other applications of biotechnology to energy.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug and alcohol screening as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer Segment Alternative Energy Removal Time 23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) Removal Date 06-Dec-2012
BP - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...