San Diego |
We seek an experienced scientist with a deep understanding of the theory and practice of enzymology and biochemistry. The ideal candidate must have experience leading a team of enzymologists/biochemists. The individual must also be able to solve problems creatively, communicate effectively, and collaborate well with project leaders and team members.
Reporting to: AE Biofuels TECH Yeast Development.
• Develop enzyme solutions for biofuel production.
• Manage and provide leadership of a team of biochemists tasked with enzyme improvement and optimization.
• Rigorous structural and functional characterization of a wide range of enzyme classes, enzyme optimization, and evolution.
• Must be able to collaborate effectively with key scientific personnel to further improve a variety of biofuels platforms.
• Mentor and train junior scientists with hands on techniques and experimental approaches.
• Provide creativity and technical leadership.
• Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry or a related discipline.
• 0 to 4 years post-doctoral research experience.
• Experience in an industrial environment.
Essential experience and job requirements
• Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
• Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities.
• Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and looks beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
• People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
• Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
• Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Experience with detailed enzyme characterization, optimization, and evolution.
• Have demonstrated leadership and management of scientific teams in a fast-paced industrial setting.
• Familiarity with metabolic pathways, systems biology, and ‘omics technologies.
• The successful candidate will have demonstrated outstanding inter-disciplinary problem solving and scientific analytical skills, with a strong interest in the pursuit of scientific discovery.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal and proven scientific communication skills.
• Highly developed organization skills and the ability to handle multiple projects are essential.
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
In Biofuels, our business in conventional products such as bio-ethanol is already substantial, accounting for about 10% of the world market. However, as well as providing today's biofuels, we're also developing tomorrow's. We are investing $500 million over 10 years in the Energy Biosciences Institute to explore options for advanced biofuels and other applications of biotechnology to energy.
If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
BP is an equal opportunity employer.
23:59 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
BP - 19 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...