The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF) is seeking a Senior Scientist to support the Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD), located in Frederick, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to BDRD.
BDRD is a cutting-edge research program that works to protect service members and civilians from biological threats. Devising methods to combat biological warfare agents has been critical to ensuring the safety of U.S. service members and civilians. BDRD has long been a leader in biological weapons defense research. BDRD's laboratory at the Naval Medical Research Center was selected as one of just three national laboratories in the CDC Laboratory Response Network. This distinction is a direct result of BDRD's expertise in the field.
Incumbent serves as a Principle Investigator and is responsible for independently conceiving and designing research projects of considerable complexity relating to immunology and/or proteomics. Incumbent also contributes to the management of immunological reagent production projects. Incumbent is the most senior level person working specifically on the project.
1. Plans, executes and oversees laboratory research and contributes to management of ISO Guide 34 Accredited reagent production laboratory.
2. Develops new technologies and protocols. Coordinates and prepares new grant and funding applications and project reports.
3. Maintains detailed knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories relating to immunodiagnostics.
4. Trains and supervises technical and scientific staff.
5. Makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences, within or outside the federal government.
6. Serves as point-of-contact with funding sources and collaborators.
7. Coordinates the development of patent applications, if applicable.
8. Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: knowledge of applicable highly complex scientific procedures and techniques; excellent communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Ph.D. in related scientific discipline or M.D.
Minimum Experience: 6 to 10 years related research experience
Physical Capabilities: work involves long periods of standing and handling of numerous chemicals
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance and be enrolled in the Biolgical Personnel Reliability Program for work with select agents and toxins.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: supervises technical and scientific staff
Work Environment: laboratory environment; may require working evenings and weekends; may involve working with biohazardous materials in biosafety level 2 and/or biosafety level 3 laboratory.
Please apply on-line at www.hjf.org/careers/open-jobs Click “Advanced Search” to enter job number 207698 in the Job Opening ID box.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. is a congressionally authorized, not-for-profit corporation that provides unparalleled scientific and management services to military medical research and education programs worldwide. Our mission is to advance military medical research. AA/EEO
For a comprehensive list of our benefits, please visit:
Monster - 8 months ago
The Henry M Jackson Foundation was founded in 1983 to continue the unfinished work of the late Senator Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson in...