Senior Scientist – Molecular Diagnostics
Founded in 1944, MRIGlobal is an independent, not-for-profit organization that performs contract research, technical consulting, and other services for clients in business, industry and government. MRIGlobal currently has the need for an experienced Senior Scientist.
MRIGlobal’s Global Health and Security (GHS) Operations, Diagnostics Division is seeking a highly-motivated individual to work in molecular diagnostic research and assist in the development of programs to help our customers bring new molecular diagnostics to the market.
The Senior Scientist (Molecular Diagnostics) will provide technical project leadership and technical guidance to junior staff while pursuing new business opportunities. This will be accomplished by providing technical expertise and direction toward the achievement of meeting client and project goals. Additional responsibilities:
• Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Molecular Diagnostics. Serve as primary contact for clients and represent MRIGlobal as a technical expert.
• Provides leadership and training to technical staff on procedures and instrumentation.
• Provides technical guidance and direction to ensure the group meets and achieves project milestones.
• Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Actively markets for new business opportunities and is lead author of proposals and technical reports.
• Design laboratory experiments and reviews data for accuracy and completeness. Perform peer review of data and reports.
• Manages projects.
• Supports proposal efforts by providing project cost estimates as well as technical expertise.
Nature and scope: The Senior Scientist reports administratively to a Section Manager or a Division Director. Directs or monitors direction of large and/or critical projects. Directs preparation of reports. Deals regularly with contacts in client organizations. Holds positions in one or more societies or committees. Establishes schedule to meet program deadlines. Encourages a team effort through training and leadership. Develops and assists in technical training program for staff. May give input to line managers on goal setting and evaluation of staff. Makes substantial contribution to planning and execution of market and project development. Actively participates in marketing activities of the division. In this position the Senior Scientist will be expected to be experienced in the following areas:
• Possess Molecular Biology skills to compliment the MRIGlobal focus in molecular diagnostics. Familiar with biotechnologies supporting IVD, Infectious Disease, Oncology, including real-time PCR, next generation sequencing, FISH and Immunohistochemistry (IHC). Experience with one or more is desired.
• Previous experience developing and validating molecular assays; experience in IVD product development is highly desirable. Articles in peer reviewed journals and demonstration of Product Development success, a plus.
• Client and customer interaction as well as the preparation and delivery of presentations, project progress and results.
• Project Management training and/or direct the work of other staff in the conduct of research projects to successfully deliver on time, on budget and quality products to our customers.
• Manage, conduct and/or participate in information acquisition and project tasks with minimum supervision and within time and budget constraints. Manage, as assigned, projects that may involve multiple divisions/lines of business.
• Produce written and verbal assessments based on research, correlation, and analysis.
• Participation in formal Quality Regulatory System (e.g. ISO, cGMP, etc.) highly desirable.
• Achieve high technical quality in assigned projects.
• Willingness to travel
• Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Chemistry or other related study area and a minimum 3 years of appropriate related experience; M.S. in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Chemistry and a minimum 6 years of related experience; B.S./B.A. in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Chemistry and minimum 9 years of related experience; or appropriate combination of education and experience.
• Ability to work independently. Must be detail oriented.
• Proficient oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with the contract research business is a plus, federal regulations (e.g. FDA 510(k) is a plus, proposal writing, project management, and instrumentation is desired.
• Proficient PC skills and ability to learn new software and systems.
• Ability to work effectively in a team-based environment by communicating expectations, assessing client needs, gaining acceptance of an idea/plan/activity/product, and interactions with technical staff at all levels
• Establishes a course of action to accomplish a specific project or goal; plans proper assignments of personnel and appropriate allocation of resources; determines schedule of events; communicates expectations about tasks and deadlines; develops contingency plans.
• Proven leadership qualities, including experience with personnel, budgets, programs, schedules, and safety requirements.
• Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Well organized and methodical, yet flexible in adjusting priorities, and able to take risks to accomplish goals.
• Ability to organize activities and focus on priority goals and problem areas.
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
MRIGlobal - 10 months ago
MRIGlobal, a not-for-profit research and development organization, delivers solutions in global health, national security and defense, and...