This position is physically located at CNSE’s satellite location in in the Rochester, NY area. The role of Sr. Silicon Solar Process Engineer is responsible to lead process development efforts supporting the development, and characterization of crystalline silicon based solar cells for high efficiency low cost manufacturable PV devices. The duties of the Senior Silicon Solar Process Engineer include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for process development on leading edge and next-generation high-efficiency crystalline silicon solar cell technologies using proprietary process, device, and tool technologies.
- Development of industry leading edge high efficiency new cell design, yield, reliability, metrology, and optimization of process steps with a view to minimization of manufacturing cost. This requires deep understanding of the full sequence of production steps and the related process flow.
- Oversight of process development plans and projects of systems and processes.
- Lead projects including process development plans, resource requirements, budget needs to support the project, and proposing timeframes for projects.
- Proposes projects to support the development and operational efforts.
- Work closely with customers, Senior Staff and management including reporting project findings.
- Receive general supervision from the executive staff for Process Development with additional support provided to members of the engineering and technical staff in order to complete both standard processing of the systems baseline recipes compared against known values along with completing experiments geared at materials development to characterize new processes, materials, or operational methods.
General Functions :
- Develop or modify process formulations, definition of standard processing and equipment requirements and specifications, and review of processing techniques and methods used in the manufacture, fabrication, and evaluation of manufacturable based devices (with respect to silicon wafer and integration aspects)
- Reviews product requirements with design staff to ensure compatibility of processing method and processing equipment.
- Recommend and prepare changes, additions, and modifications, which will facilitate improved processes and equipment improvements.
- Develop experimental test plans aligned with the process and hardware development objectives.
- Leading of a team of engineers and technicians (mix of direct hands on processing capability along with leading others to support activities) for the purpose of executing experimental procedures as developed or directed.
- Compile and evaluate test data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process or material specifications using statistical analysis tools such as DOE software (JMP, MiniTab, and others)
- Oversee and execute customer demonstrations using R&D based and manufacturing scale equipment while being the technical point of contact for our customers.
- Conduct process demonstration portion of equipment acceptance tests at factory and at customer site.
- Provided support to systems manufacturing to resolve process related problems.
- Create and evolve processes to deliver optimal coatings given specific criteria.
- Travel for supporting partner oriented technology joint development programs.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned.
Notes: Position contingent on the availability of funding
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Materials Science, physics or equivalent Engineering and/or Science related discipline from a college or University accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization AND a minimum of 7 years experience working in the photovoltaic industry as a Process Development Engineer for volume production of crystalline solar cell and modules.in one or more areas of PV devices.
- OR a Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, physics or equivalent Engineering and/or Science related discipline from a college or University accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization AND a minimum of 5 years experience working in the photovoltaic industry as a Process Development Engineer for volume production of crystalline solar cell and modules.
- OR a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent Engineering and/or Science related discipline from a college or University accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization AND a minimum of 2 years experience working in the photovoltaic industry as a Process Development Engineer for volume production of crystalline solar cell and modules..
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with in one of the following areas: Wet texturing & etching (KOH /IPA, HF/HNO3), Atmospheric Diffusion (Phosphorus/Boron) and Anneal (H2/N2), PECVD (SiH4), Screen printing (Ag/Al), Incoming & outgoing test and inspection of high-performance solar cells.
- Focused on manufacturable process, and hardware development, coupled to an analytical background.
- Experience with building high-performance teams developing novel deposition, hardware, and analytical technologies in a fast paced research for manufacturing environment.
- Track record of technical publications for thin film and hardware development
- Extensive background in characterization of manufacturable devices including composition (ICP, EDS,SIMS, RBS, XPS), Morphology and crystalline structure (SEM, XRD, AFM, others), and general crystalline solar materials properties including optical, electrical, and mechanical characteristics.
- Prior experience with product development targeted at volume manufacturing in the crystalline solar industry is highly desired
- A background with a capital equipment supplier understanding the issues with system builds, shipment, signoffs, and customer technology roadmap support items related to process and hardware upgrades is highly desired
- Candidates must address in their applications their abilities to work with a culturally diverse population.
- This position is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a background investigation; this position may require annual background investigations.
College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering - 16 months ago