Job Opening: Senior Software Architect
Located in the heart of Washington DC, Sentrana provides companies with predictive analytics for better sales and marketing decisions. For the past five years, we have brought our capabilities to the foodservice industry generating optimal pricing and marketing recommendations covering tens of thousands of products and hundreds of thousands of customers on a daily basis. Through our enterprise application platform MarketMover®, we help wholesale distributors and suppliers put the terabytes of data sitting in their existing systems to work with advanced analytics and a family of applications that deliver predictive insight at the moment of truth – the instant the sale is being made.
Our application suite helps companies of all sizes accurately predict and optimize the impact of their sales and marketing activities, including pricing, promotion, product mix, and other sales and marketing related activities. The MarketMover software platform gives clients the ability to use our advanced analytics throughout the sales process and at the crucial moment of the sale. Our software as a service (SaaS) model allows our clients to get started quickly supported by our high performance computing infrastructure and allows us to continuously improve our software without costly deployments into clients’ internal IT environment.
As a Senior Software Architect at Sentrana, you'll drive the development of our advanced enterprise software solutions and services. Working closely with world-class scientists, engineers, and product managers in a small team environment, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the rapidly evolving science and technology of quantitative marketing and fact-based, optimal decision making.
Our heritage is one of entrepreneurship, where individuals' innovative ideas are prized and rapidly re-shape the capabilities of large enterprises. Because you'll be on a cross-functional team that is responsible for both business and technology decisions, you will have immediate visibility to the relationship between your efforts and the ultimate technology impact that it creates.
We seek a senior architect capable of driving the end to end design of complex systems. Your primary responsibility will be the definition of the software architecture for Sentrana software development projects in alignment with our overarching technology vision. You will also lead the design and implementation of our solutions.
You will work closely with top-notch scientists and engineers as well as with senior executive level managers of our Fortune 500 clients and partners, and will be responsible for building reliable, highly maintainable and robust application software using the best software engineering practices
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Work with the whole Sentrana team to drive the architecture of our predictive analytics and sales execution platform, MarketMover.
- Identify common components that can support the range of capabilities needed for our application
- Define both internal and external APIs for MarketMover components
- Develop migration strategies to move our existing components into a seamlessly integrated framework
- Develop and refine the design for solutions to ensure that they will be sufficiently scalable, maintainable, and flexible to support the requirements for initial release and for future growth.
- Efficiently develop high quality software components and integrated them into Sentrana’s enterprise and consumer solutions.
- Actively engage with others on the development team to resolve challenging design and coding problems.
- Create common services, templates, and utilities that can be leveraged across the development team to accelerate delivery.
- Provide detailed input to the operations and infrastructure team regarding the overall topology of the infrastructure supporting the system including application/web server sizing, database server sizing, storage requirements, and network requirements.
- Identify leading practices for the architecture and software design that can be adopted by the development team as implementation progresses.
- Evaluate the appropriate frameworks and commercial or open source software components for integration into our solutions.
- Improve the overall quality of Sentrana’s software development by helping develop the capabilities of the entire team. This means mentoring more junior team members, actively sharing new insights and lessons learned across the organization, and helping define new software development standards and processes.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience developing web-based enterprise solutions or consumer facing online services.
- We are looking for a talented engineer who can work across platforms and have a strong foundation in the fundamentals of software development. Experience in at least one of the following areas is required:
- Java EE development for web-based applications
- C#/ASP.NET development for web-based applications
- C and/or C++ development for high performance computing applications
- Experience developing software in both the Windows Server and Unix/Linux environments.
- Expertise in the full lifecycle of software development including development using a structured methodology such as RUP or agile approaches (SCRUM, XP).
- Mastery of software engineering leading practices. Demonstrated experience on object-oriented design and analysis, practical application of design patterns and code refactoring.
- Solid understanding of database design and data modeling across a range of platforms.
- Prior experience developing commercial software, preferably in a startup environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Mathematics/Engineering or related field.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You will need to be able to communicate complex technical concepts to the US and offshore development team, and communicate status, issues, and risks to the management team.
We offer a generous compensation package, including an equity stake, plus a collaborative, tier-one management team. More importantly, we provide an intellectually fertile environment for people to learn, experiment, and grow. Our work focuses on difficult problems that have no easy answers – indeed it is our pursuit and embrace of such problems that inspires the growth of our associates and our enterprise.
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter directly to us via email:
(Subject: Senior Software Architect)
Sentrana Inc. - 13 months ago