Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile devices like the Kindle family of products. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Since then, we have worked to produce best-selling tablets with breakthrough hardware technology as well as e-readers that have revolutionized reading. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Senior Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for hiring and leading a deeply technical and creative team responsible for inventing novel interaction technologies to create innovative, robust and valuable user experiences for mobile embedded devices. In this position you will partner with product managers, project managers, user experience designers and other internal resources. A successful candidate will have an established background with strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills and motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
The Senior Software Development Manager will provide technical leadership and management for the team. This hands-on position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of software development, user experience design, and emerging technology evaluation, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about simple and powerful solutions that improve a customer’s experience. The leader we are looking for will bring proven experience building, managing and mentoring engineering teams. In this role, you will:
- Discover and evaluate new interaction technologies, and explore applications of those technologies to understand how they can best improve the customer experience
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Manage departmental resources, staffing and mentoring and enhance and maintain a best-in-class engineering team.
- Maintain and improve existing software
- Prepare technical requirements and software design specifications
- Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- 10+ years of industry experience, preferably in Embedded Linux
- 3+ years of management experience
- Demonstrated experience delivering innovative products
- Engineering process expertise, with a full understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles
- Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering
- Java or Android experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
- Excellent judgment, organizational and problem solving skills
- Superior design and architecture knowledge
- Robust project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling and executing on committed schedules
- Proven success in building, motivating and retaining teams of star players
- Deeply technical with a track record of successful delivery as an individual contributor and leader
- Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Vet