Turbine, Inc. seeks a Senior Software Engineer to work on a new unannounced title. Turbine is a leading developer of massively multiplayer online games and currently is developing Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Infinite Crisis, and AC1. If you have strong engineering skills, a passion for video games, and enjoy making the systems for great games, this is a great opportunity!
The successful candidate will assume a key role in the development of Turbine's future, evolving both technology and entertainment experiences from our current multi-award winning technology foundation into the next generation of MMO gaming. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will act as an expert in client/server game technology. The candidate will be equally capable of designing and writing code for the database, the game servers, and the game clients.
Candidates must be comfortable working in a professional environment and be capable of working closely with the Director, their peers, and customers in high pressure situations. The candidate should possess strong communication skills and be able to discuss technical issues with non-technical people such as artists and designers.
The candidate should demonstrate their drive, motivation, and dedication to computer games and game technology. The ideal candidate will be a dedicated gamer and be able to critically analyze the game play and technology of state-of-the-art video games.
- Develop and maintain game engine systems.
- Oversee server performance issues and guide optimizations in system designs.
- Lead technical design discussions on systems within the engineering domain.
- Analyze requirements in order to design and implement modular systems.
- Provide reliable and accurate time estimates for tasks.
- Document systems thoroughly, both in terms of design and implementation.
- Provide mentoring for other engineers.
- Ensure system quality by performing code and design reviews.
- Maintain significant familiarity within the engineering domain.
- Develop and maintain other game engine systems as required.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
- 5+ years of experience with C++.
- Experience with Client/Server models.
- SQL schema design and performance knowledge.
- Multi-threaded experience.
- Familiarity with STL.
- Experience with source control processes.
- A passion for games and game technology.
- Previous MMO development experience.
- Experience in a distributed server environment.
- Networking protocol knowledge.
- Experience profiling SQL.
- Experience debugging crash dumps.