Responsibilities of Senior Systems Administrator:
- Work closely with a team of developers and QA engineers, understand and anticipate the agile infrastructure needs of the development and testing processes; create an environment where dev and QA work can proceed securely, efficiently, and flexibly.
- Lead Operations Team efforts to put all of our work into code: With a modern configuration management tool (Opscode Chef), automate the creation and maintenance of a variety of technologically heterogeneous virtual environments in AWS. Apply proper config management principles to the creation and maintenance of these environments.
- Provide for and anticipate horizontal scaling of environments and anticipate infrastructure growth and expanding needs as the business grows.
- Provide expertise in load testing new applications for large virtual environment; provide and (on the Operations side) implement advice and suggestions discovered during testing.
- Work closely with external vendors and PMs to provide infrastructure needs on many dynamic elements of our product suite simultaneously.
- Provide senior networking expertise to the team.
- Help plan, improve and maintain build system using Jenkins/Maven/Artifactory to build many heterogeneous artifacts.
- Be the primary contact from the Operations team auditing our work for security and communicating this to the staging/production team.
- Work collaboratively to provide senior infrastructure guidance to the team for short-term issues and long-term planning and vision.
Basic Qualifications of Senior Systems Administrator:
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience is required
- 5+ years of experience with UNIX systems administration, with the 2 most recent years being Linux
- Ability to write complex scripts in a major scripting language (Bourne, Python, Ruby), and some experience in a programming language (C/C++/Java)
- Experience with and knowledge of virtualization technologies
- Proven ability to diagnose complex networking issues using standard tools (tcpdump, wireshark, iptraf, smokeping, ntop)
- Proven systems and networking expertise (strace/gdb/systemTap debugging, custom kernels, various firewalls and load balancers, IDS)
- Extensive experience with standard Linux/UNIX daemons (apache, ssh, cron, bind, ldap, heartbeat, syslog, ntp)
- Guru-level troubleshooting experience with databases (MySQL)
Preferred Qualifications of Senior Systems Administrator:
- Thorough understanding of configuration management concepts
- Demonstrated deep understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts
- Familiarity with mobile app development, testing, and distribution tools (iOS and Android)
- 2+ Years working with AWS and familiarity interacting with the AWS APIs and working with tools such as Boto or Knife; experience with networking, properly architecting high availability systems, and security in an AWS context
- Understanding of data backup and recovery, experience within an AWS context
- 2+ years working with a modern configuration management tool such as Chef, Puppet, or Cfengine 3; thorough understanding of configuration management concepts