Higher One, Inc. is a growing innovative financial services company. Our success is built on the talent, energy, and enthusiasm of our employees, and we are looking for a creative thinking and detail-oriented individual to become part of our IT Operations team as a Senior Linux Engineer.
Our focus in hiring is to find smart, dedicated and enthusiastic candidates. The individuals we have hired are those who were motivated to find the position that truly suited their skills. The work that our employees perform each day is a part of their career, not just their job. Team members we hire are those who work intensely on projects that they feel passionate about.
Higher One’s Senior Linux Engineer will be responsible for design, implementing and support of Higher One’s Linux infrastructure and production environments in multiple data centers. Provide technical thought leadership for the Linux environments and is accountable to help define, maintain, communicate and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy. This role is ideal for an independent, fast learning, and motivated individual who wishes to continue to increase their knowledge and mastery of Linux System Administration, software engineering and open source applications.
Day to day responsibilities:
Apache, Joomla, Wordpress, Bugzilla, Mediawiki, Moodle, Openfire, MySQL, Jboss
- Interpret requirements (customer, internal customer, and existing infrastructure) providing engineering solutions and develop specifications to implement new projects.
- Prepare time estimates for phases of technical projects. Develop and maintain project tasks for large and medium projects. Document all aspects of projects to assure other administrators can support the environment easily.
- Provide technical leadership to other administrators.
- Help define standard engineering designs, templates, processes, and procedures for implementing projects.
- Interface with Project Managers to ensure requirements are gathered for projects and that project status is communicated.
- Participate in design reviews and ensure that all solutions are aligned to policies and pre-defined architectural specifications.
- Analyze system performance, modifying parameters to improve throughput and effectively utilize system resources. Provide recommendations to resolve future performance needs.
- Participate in production support activities. Will be expected to have the technical knowledge and capability to troubleshoot incidents that may arise. Proactively put procedures in place to prevent and reduce the severity of outages.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with internal and external strategic partners.
- Coordinate activities with vendors as required.
- Migration of existing services to new hardware / virtual machines
- Develop and maintain installation, configuration, maintenance procedures and documentation
- Installation & administration of Linux environments. (Red Hat, CentOS). Patching, account creation, upgrades, backups, etc
- Installation & administration of application software such as:
- Installation, administration and support of tools used in the software development lifecycle such as CVS, Git, Hudson, Maven and Sonar.
- Issue resolution and troubleshooting for the Linux environments and applications.
- Proactive monitoring of the Linux environments including planning for growth and upgrades.
- Maintain server security and standards to meet the company’s security policies and certifications.
Working at Higher One
Higher One is not your typical financial services company. Our environment is open – we do not have offices – not even for upper management. We typically work in casual attire, and while our focus on excellence is anything but casual, we know how to have fun, too. Teams have been known to plan surprise nerf gun attacks on other departments, we have paper airplane competitions and office chair races, and we have a foosball table in our casual lounge. The lounge is complete with couches and comfortable chairs – and is the site of some of our meetings as well as a place to relax. We work hard – and we have fun while we do it.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent IT work experience.
- Experience with scripting and system automation (Perl, Bash, Awk, etc)
- 6+ years experience with Linux administration
- Experience with Linux server security and hardening servers
- Experience with DNS and F5 Load balancers
- Experience with VMWare
- Experience with Java application server environments including JBoss and Tomcat a plus
- Experience with high availability and multi-site environments
- Experience working in a 24x7 high transaction volume environment.
- Experience implementing server security for PCI, SAS70 or equivalent certifications.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good technical diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, reproduction, and resolution skills.
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple simultaneous projects
- Ability to balance longer term project work with ongoing support responsibilities
- Ability to acquire new skills efficiently and thrives in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to blend discipline (area of expertise) with a business perspective. Is able to focus on business issues and interpret impact on business processes. Broadens knowledge within discipline. This position bridges the subject matter expert with business perspective equally.
- Ability to make logical decisions regarding the best method to accomplish goals or solve a problem and is guided by precedent and general policy in making decisions. Is able to operate with general management direction.
- Able to coordinate and obtain cooperation of others. Able to handle controversial issues tactfully.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Off hours support required.
Higher One - 19 months ago
Horizontal Integration Inc.
East Haven, CT
Horizontal Integration Inc.
- 24 days ago
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...