The role of the Senior Systems Engineer Lead is to plan, organize, and direct day to day activities in association to staff and technology components. The objective is to, as evidenced by agreed upon metrics, ensure operational excellence. This includes guiding the Senior Systems Engineers in the effort of designing, building, supporting, and optimizing technology solutions with particular focus on network infrastructure, server infrastructure, data communications, and system storage and security. As a part of this key role, this individual will be responsible for daily guidance of the team in order to accomplish agreed upon objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Lead role is responsible for contributing to the sustainment of a high level of overall performance of the team and is responsible for engineering datacenter and infrastructure services and provisioning of such. Success metrics include meeting and improving upon SLAs, increased customer satisfaction, and timely service provision. Overall responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Provide technical guidance and mentoring to team members
- Coordinate Senior Systems Engineering activities and responsiveness in association to all aspects of Infrastructure. Including but not limited to Network Infrastructure, Server Infrastructure, Storage, Network Security, Voice and Data Communications.
· Ensure Senior Engineers have clear priorities and adequate resources
· Review continuously and recommend infrastructure solutions that improve scalability, availability, performance in a cost efficient manner in association with IT Architecture group.
· Drive new technology solutions with evaluation, design, development, integration, and certification and taking part in design and buy versus build decisions.
· Maintain high morale and motivate engineers to go above and beyond
· Participate in architecture discussions and planning.
· Be a vocal advocate for technical excellence and help the team make good decisions
· Monitor Senior Engineering progress to ensure strategies, goals, and objectives are met
· Manage relationships with IT and Business Unit Leadership and work in close coordination with them to ensure infrastructure readiness according to planned implementations and release milestones.
· Assess impact of proposed changes to the infrastructure on the overall business / technology operation, and staff resources
· Define, maintain and report metrics representing the performance and status of the Infrastructure Engineering Dept.
- Collaborate with other I.T. Departments to set, maintain and improve on IT Service Delivery and Support Processes in order to maintain the standard of the day-to-day operation.
· Leads a team of 4-6 individuals
· Proactively mentor staff members to, in-turn, promote consistent career management, performance measurement and skill development.
· Identify ways to share resources across applications / platforms to promote information sharing and career / skill development through job rotation
· Prioritize day to day workload and project planning
· Identify and communicate key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Progressive experience implementing and executing the IT Service Management framework.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field -OR- 4+ years equivalent combination of technical and functional experience
- 8+ years’ experience in IT or related field
- 5+ years infrastructure experience, 'shared' service provider environment strongly preferred
- 3+ years’ experience in a leadership role in an IT organization, multi-business unit environment preferred
· Have an excellent understanding of data center operations, enterprise SAN storage, distributed network and data center operations, WAN/LAN design and topology, CISCO firewall/load balancer/ASA/VPN, Microsoft servers and architecture, SQL Server 2008/2012, log management, job scheduling and monitoring solutions.
· Must be a highly organized and disciplined individual who fully understands the rigors of a 24 x 7 mission critical production environment and works well with multiple technical disciplines.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable presenting to a multi-disciplined technology group and must be able to communicate well with all IT disciplines as well as internal and external business users.
· Strong knowledge and experience in contracting, negotiating, organization development/change management
· Very strong conceptual, analytical, judgment and communication abilities are critical.
· Must be a highly motivated, responsive individual who can work independently and demonstrate excellent communication and customer service skills
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Washington Dental Service - 16 months ago
Washington Dental Service, a member of the Delta Dental Plans Association, is the leading dental benefits company in the state of...