San Francisco, CA
Blackboard Mobile's state-of-the-art Mobile Infrastructure systems handle significant and growing volumes of data from ingestion to delivery, in use by hundreds of thousands of students, faculty, and alumni. We're looking for a seasoned Sr. Systems Engineer to join our growing DevOps and Reliability Team. The ideal candidate will have extensive hands-on experience administering Linux-based, open-source infrastructure systems with an eye on automation, preferably in support of highly available web applications. Most importantly, the right individual will be highly motivated, with a positive, “can-do” attitude and a passion for delivering technical solutions in a fast-paced environment.
- Operating and maintaining Blackboard’s Mobile Application Ecosystem and Infrastructure
- Configuring, monitoring and administrating Linux and Mac OS X systems and middleware
- Performing daily & monthly maintenance tasks such as patching, upgrades, security updates, etc.
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues related to mobile applications development and deployment
- Supporting and building upon automation tools (Chef, Capistrano, etc.)
- Reports to the Senior Technical Operations Manager for project direction and mentoring
- Participation in 24/7 on-call rotation - not a death sentence here!!
- 5+ years of professional Linux-based system administration (CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu) supporting an environment with multiple servers (50-100+)
- Expertise in configuring and administering LNMP, Rails, and/or Java environments
- Experience performing and automating systems maintenance tasks using open source tools
- Experience with system configuration management and automation tools (Chef)
- Experience with one or more scripting language (Ruby, Python, Node.js, etc); preferably Ruby
- Experience configuring, monitoring, and performance-tuning database systems (MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB) in a high-availability, high-transactional environment
- Clear understanding of networking technologies (Load Balancers, Firewalls, Switches, etc)
- Experience architecting and building high availability systems for scalability
- Experience migrating from physical servers to cloud servers
- Experience with cloud based hosting (Rackspace, AWS, etc)
- Proven trach record of taking project ownership and completing on time with little oversight
- Excellent communication skills, capable of conducting technical discussions & presentations in English
- Self-starter, collaorbative team player, and desire to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Computer Science degree is helpful, but actual industry experience and knowledge is key
- Experience with cloud and virtualization platforms like VMWare, Xen, Hyper-V, Openstack
- Solid understanding of current web and Internet technologies like Apache, Tomcat, Nginx, Memcache, Varnish, CDN, Dynamic DNS
- Experience with continuous integration tools (Bamboo, Jenkins, etc) and Capistrano
- Familiarity with Atlassian Suite (Confluence, JIRA, Crowd, etc.)
- Experience using and administering software version control systems (SVN, Git, etc)
- Experience with synchronous and asynchronous queuing systems (RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, etc)
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Experience with open source technologies and the desire to give back to the community
Blackboard Mobile is a division of Blackboard Inc., a global leader in enterprise technology and innovative solutions that improves the experience of millions of students and faculty for each of our client institutions around the world, every day. We pride ourselves on creating well-designed mobile education solutions including -
Allowing students and faculty to access teaching and learning wherever and whenever they want through a variety of mobile devices. As a native app for iOS and Android, Mobile Learn extends and enriches the course experience of Blackboard Learn, the leading web-based teaching and learning platform.
With Mosaic, universities and schools can build a powerful, native app for their institution in a matter of hours with little to no engineering experience. Apps produced by Mosaic keep our clients' students engaged, strengthen alumni connections, and introduce their institutions to prospective students.
Some of our Great Benefits!
Position not eligible for Visa candidates
- San Francisco office in the heart of Jackson Square – surrounded by North Beach & the FiDi.
- Competitive salary, Full benefits, 401K matching.
- Flexible work schedule - we want you to create amazing products, not punch a ticket.
- Use of top of the line mobile phones and iMac with Cinema Display.
- Subsidized public transportation….or bike to work!
- Fully stocked snacks & drinks, espresso, bagel-bar Fridays, and a flowing keg.
- We are a pet friendly environment, so there are dogs occasionally roaming the office!
- Perks such as ping-pong, pool table, office yoga, happy hours, patio grilling, nerf darts, and endless choices of surround-sound music. We like to have fun, too!