VerticalResponse is a leading SaaS company and we are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join our Operations team.
We're looking for someone who takes pride in making an operation ultra-fast and scalable and knows how to do things the right way. You will handle our web service engineering for performance analysis and mail operations, support our enterprise network environment, and ensure that our application is extremely reliable. You will work closely with both the Operations and Engineering teams.
- Manage our global, 24/7/365 infrastructure
- Design, deploy, and maintain reliable web hosting services
- Manage outbound e-mail infrastructure that serves up to 100M emails per day
- Administer servers, storage, databases, networking and other technologies
- Handle instrumentation, monitoring and performance tuning
- Provide maintenance and production troubleshooting
- Create proof-of-concept studies around new technologies
- Analyze production issues and participate in on-call rotation
- Other duties as assigned
multi-homing, and engineering for automatic failover
- You have at least 7 years experience running medium-large scale system in a Linux environment
- You know Linux/UNIX internals and core system services (DNS, smtp, syslog, iptables, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, analytical and problem-solving skills, written and verbal communication abilities
- You've worked with system monitoring tools such as perfmon, netstat, ganglia, or zenoss
- Object-relational databases, PostgreSQL in particular, interest you and you understand them
- You know and enjoy scripting in Ruby and Perl
- Resource utilization is a familiar concept to you
- You can do systems configuration management (Puppet, Chef, CFEngine, etc.)
- Strong Layer 2 & 3 Networking skills: solid HSRP, STP, 802.11, BGP, OSPF, RIP, route re-distribution,
About our team
- Familiarity with current multi-tier website architectures including load balancing and failover concepts for web servers, application servers, and database servers
- You know how to use Phusion Passenger for Nginx to deploy Ruby on Rails applications. You can optimize Phusion Passenger and solve common problems.
- Strong knowledge of storage protocols
- You like your job, you do it well without much direction and you can explain what you do to others
- BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
You'll join an operations team that takes pride in making an operation ultra-fast, scalable, and knows how to do things the right way. You'll get to work with a highly motivated and experienced operations team using some of the latest technological advances, and will collaborate with other teams throughout our organization. If you thrive in a positive culture, love looking for and driving solutions, and can rock a sumo wrestling suit like you own it (just one of many happy hour activities we've organized at the company), let's talk!
This position is located in San Francisco and reports to the Senior IT Operations Manager.
VerticalResponse - 18 months ago