The OC System Administrator’s role is to monitor, manage and tune computer software systems and network connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications. This individual will focus squarely on providing value to the business by proactively identifying and resolving issues within the environment that would have a negative impact on business services. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
Strategy & Planning
• Developing and maintaining tools for monitoring the server and data center infrastructure, troubleshooting high-profile performance issues utilizing root-cause analysis, and implement appropriate plan for problem resolution.
• Collaborate in assessing current and expected infrastructure needs, configuration, maintenance, optimization and documentation of systems infrastructure
• Monitor CPU, Memory, disk space utilization, etc.
• Monitor systems for application and network performance problems
• Monitor system logs for security events, hardware errors and application issues
• Follow and apply configuration and security standards and policies within a defined change management process
• Deploy patches into the production environment service packs, hotfixes, updates
• Documenting the system configuration and ensuring any changes to the configuration get updated
• Action alarms and events and create service desk tickets or problem records where necessary
• Ensure Cron jobs and other scheduled systems jobs run and restart jobs that fail
• Installation and upgrades to server monitoring systems and dashboards. Work with applications teams to develop performance and baseline monitors
• Monitor trends in growth of disk space, CPU and memory. Work with the Solutions Deployment and Technical Operations team to address any growth needs
• First responder to all high severity cases stays on the bridge during SWAT incidents to help other teams gather relevant information
• Produce application performance reports and security reports as needed
• Generate system reports and correlate growth, changes over time. Use data to generate reports to engineering teams and management
• Take the data from the DDI scans and correct any deficiencies in systems
• Maintain a record of all software including Operating systems and applications on each server
• Automating task wherever possible i.e. log file rotation FTP transfers, etc.
• Partner w/ IT Security for Quarterly/Yearly SOX Compliance and remediation
Formal Education & Certification
• College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
• Certifications in Windows , UNIX, and ITIL foundations
Knowledge & Experience
• Knowledge of Windows 2003/2008, Active Directory, and Exchange 2007/2010
• Knowledge of Unix (Solaris) / Linux (RedHat), Windows, ESX and related server hardware
• Strong knowledge of ITIL processes incident, problem, change, and knowledge management
• Hands on experience with Microsoft Back Office and related technologies
• Strong hardware and server troubleshooting skills
• Experience administering DNS, DHCP, File, Print, Exchange, Active Directory, and group/security policies in an enterprise network environment
• Solid documentation skills
• Excellent customer service
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels and ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Experience in maintaining standardized IT environments.
Desired Skills & Experience
• Experience with the HP monitoring suite SiteScope, OVO, OMI
• Intermediate knowledge of, and/or hands-on experience with any of the following: Microsoft SQL Server, HBA multipath HW and SW, SANs (HDS),IIS, Apache, JBoss, Tomcat, Weblogic, Cold Fusion and Quest.
• 3-5 years’ experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
• Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
• Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
• Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
• Highly self motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Alternating and varying work shifts
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Some travel may be required
Hitachi Data Systems - 12 months ago
Hitachi, which means "risen sun," is looking for a new dawn of profits from its galaxy of businesses. The...