Provide detailed tax and accounting tasks and calculations used in the preparation of the Company’s periodic Sales & Use and Property Tax compliance obligations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Review and analyze transactions on a monthly or quarterly basis to determine the appropriate S&U treatment. Contact vendors for additional information or clarification of invoiced amounts as necessary.
- Prepare periodic State and Local sales and use tax workpapers and returns.
- Prepare company-wide annual property tax payments both internally and with outside consultants.
- Assist with resolving S&U and property tax notices from taxing authorities.
- Prepare, upload and post journal entries to the Company’s general ledger system.
- Prepare check requests and ACH requests to facilitate the timely payment of periodic SALT tax payments.
- Create, develop and run reports from the Company’s accounting and production systems.
- Assist with various projects as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual shall consistently demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Team Work: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Communication (Oral and Written): Speaks and writes clearly and informatively.
- Quantity: Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works effectively and efficiently.
- Quality Management: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments and commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative: Seeks increased responsibilities; Undertakes self-development activities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation: Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Generates suggestions for improving work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and secondary responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A Degree is not required but may be considered in combination with general accounting and office experience. A minimum of four years general accounting and office experience is required without a degree. Previous oil and gas experience is desirable.
- Education and/or Experience:
An individual should be intimately familiar with Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word and Excel; excellent working knowledge of personal computers and 10-key; Excalibur/EDGE software experience desirable.
The individual in this position needs to be able to work well under pressure and to prioritize daily work activities in order to assist the department in meeting its various deadlines. Some overtime maybe required.
- Other Skills and Ability:
SM Energy - 5 months ago
SM Energy is in the business of exploring North America to find the next big sources of energy, but we’re just as serious about...