The Senior Tax Manager has primary responsibility for (1) ensuring the company’s tax-related strategies and policies are consistent with company business plans and are in compliance with relevant laws and regulations (2) providing advice and guidance on tax matters to company personnel and (3) providing oversight and coordinating the activities of external professional accounting firms as it relates to tax matters.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Develops, recommends and coordinates tax planning, policy and compliance strategies to minimize tax liability and maximize after tax profits while ensuring compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
· Monitors and identifies changes in tax laws and analyzes potential impact to the company at the earliest opportunity. Promptly develops and recommends strategies to CAO and senior management to address changes.
· Manages the company’s relationship with external professional accounting firms as it relates to tax matters.
· In conjunction with the Manager of Corporate Accounting, coordinates all tax planning and compliance for all sponsor and company entities, including engaging external tax preparer, directing the Controllers’ interaction with external tax preparers, and ensuring prompt, complete and accurate information is provided to them. This includes year-end compliance, quarterly information and the annual tax projection process.
· In conjunction with the Manager of Portfolio Accounting, coordinates all tax planning and compliance for all property, middle tier and fund entities. Directs the Portfolio Controllers’ interaction with external tax preparers, ensuring prompt, complete and accurate information is provided to them. This includes but is not limited to year-end compliance, quarterly information for the quarterly Investor Reports, and the annual tax projection process.
· In conjunction with the Corporate and Portfolio Controllers, ensures that current, complete and accurate information is delivered to the external tax preparers including, but not limited to year-end compliance, quarterly information for investor reports, REIT compliance, and the annual tax projection process.
· Provides family offices with projections of taxable income resulting from the company’s business activities and coordinates distributions for taxes from the company to various family entities.
· In coordination with external professional accounting firms, ensures timely responses to inquiries, tax notices and audit requests from taxing/regulatory authorities. Raises pertinent questions and issues and follow through to resolution as appropriate
· Conducts periodic audit of internal controls as they relate to tax matters.
· Manages tax audit strategies and tax reserves.
· Provides sound advice and guidance regarding tax matters as they relate to acquisitions, dispositions and major transactions.
· Develops, recommends and coordinates implementation of tax-related policies and procedures. Provides tax-related guidance as needed on ERISA plans.
· Directs or participates in tax-related projects as needed.
· Liaison with senior managers on tax related activities, reporting and forecasting.
· Provides excellent customer service to both external and internal customers by:
o Building positive relationships with customers
o Taking initiative to identify customer needs and provide service that meets or exceeds customer expectations
o Communicating effectively in person as well as via telephone and email.
Location/Position Specific Responsibilities : None
Supervisory Responsibilities : None
Essential Skills & Qualifications :
· Expert knowledge of tax issues, procedures and practices associated with real estate investment management as evidenced by 10 years of experience in a related function.
· Demonstrated ability to define problems, to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of information and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
· Demonstrated ability to find, access, evaluate and use information.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with other departments or functions within the company.
· Demonstrated ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
· Demonstrated ability to make effective presentations on controversial or complex topics to senior management.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with other departments or functions within the company, including upward, laterally and downward in the organization.
· Demonstrated strong leadership skills.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities from inception to conclusion within agreed upon deadlines.
· Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to changing and sometimes ambiguous situations as well as to high-pressure situations.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve problems and negotiate solutions that balance multiple needs and interests.
· Demonstrated ability to respond to changing and sometimes ambiguous situations.
· Demonstrated sound and accurate judgment.
· Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and complex accounting software programs.
· Demonstrated ability to leverage accounting systems to improve effectiveness and efficiency of work processes, including management reporting.
· Demonstrated ability to develop projects or plans to meet business group goals and strategies. Periodic updates are provided to senior management.
Non-Essential Skills & Qualifications : None
· Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Accounting from a four-year college or university. Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.) or Masters (M.A.) in Taxation or Accounting highly desirable.
· Minimum 5 years experience in managing a successful accounting function preferably in a commercial real estate environment.
· Minimum 10 years experience in accounting, including real estate tax, investment funds and partnership tax experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
· Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) designation required.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Environment :
· Work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The employee works in an office environment.
Shorenstein - 20 months ago