Job Title: Senior Technical Leader, Internet Music Services
Location: Cambridge, MA or Santa Barbara, CA
Travel: 5% - 15%
Streaming all the music on earth requires some serious technology, and the Internet Services team at Sonos makes it happen. We develop and operate Sonos’s cloud-based web services for content partner integration, design and build APIs that provide rich capabilities to our customers through our applications, and provide real-time monitoring of service health. We use the most current development tools and work with some of the largest cloud hosting providers to deliver uninterrupted musical bliss to millions of rooms all over the world.
We are seeking a software engineering leader who will guide our Amazon EC2-based web service architecture to the next level of performance, scalability, and reliability. In this role you will draw upon a diverse set of technical skills, including knowledge of XML web services, software as a service (SaaS), clustered scale-out architectures, and cloud computing, to deliver always-on, great customer experiences.You will work closely with Sonos’s music service partners and our own product management and quality assurance teams to understand requirements, develop creative solutions that enable complicated services based on diverse technologies to interoperate seamlessly, and validate performance and fault tolerance in both simulated and production environments. The right candidate must be well-organized, proficient at multitasking, and able to communicate clearly.
If you love music, solving challenging software problems, and doing things the right way every time, we’d like to talk to you!
• Lead the design and implementation of the web services that bring streaming music to Sonos.
• Articulate Sonos’s SaaS architecture strategy and ensure that all work done by the Internet Services team is consistent within this strategy.
• Assist in performance analysis and tuning.
• Design and extend rich music service APIs.
• Work with client application developers to support new feature requests.
• Assist in diagnosis and debugging.
• Assist in the implementation of scripts for auto-scaling, self-healing, and deployment on Amazon EC2.
• Provide technical guidance to Sonos music partners in their service development.
• 10+ years of experience developing XML web services (SOAP, XML/RPC, REST, XSTL)
• 5+ years programming in Java
• 5+ years programming in C++
• 5+ years developing in a Linux environment
• 2+ years experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, ELB, SimpleDB)
• 2+ years experience in a leadership, architecture, or key decision-making role in a software development team; demonstrated ability to lead productive technical discussions with other engineers, converge on a design direction, and prepare clear documentation
• Familiarity with cloud computing (clustering, failover, etc.)
• Knowledge of TCP/IP networking internals (TCP, HTTP, packet sniffers, etc.)
• Decisive, action-oriented individual who learns quickly, works independently, and takes ownership of open issues
• Familiarity with commercial software development practices (version control, defect tracking, product schedules and deliverables)
• Undergraduate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, or related field
• Experience with memcached or membase
• Experience with Java NIO and/or Netty
• Experience with C#, Python, PHP or Ruby
• Experience developing web service code to interact with a relational database management system
• Graduate degree in computer science or electrical engineering
More about Sonos:
In 2002, we set out with a goal – to reinvent home audio for the digital age. Our vision was simple - fill every home with music and make listening a valued experience again. We’re making it easy for everybody to listen to the music they love in every room of their home. To hear the songs they love, to discover new music they never knew existed, and to appreciate it all with the highest sound quality.
We’re doing it all over the world – In more than 60 countries, in seven languages through thousands of retailers. We’re constantly looking for ways to improve the experience – with new products, new software and continually investing in ways to provide our customers the best experience possible. We’re doing what we set out to do. Changing the way people listen to music – one home at a time.
Sonos is the developer of wireless multi-room music systems for the digital home. The award-winning Sonos(TM) Digital Music System is...