The Accreditation and Academic Publications (AAP) department provides technical writing, editing, documentation, and publication services for Ashford University Academic Affairs. AAPsupports the needs of the University’s academic leadership and services units for tracking, coordinating, documenting, and reporting ongoing or regularly recurring processes and publications. These processes and publications includeregional and programmatic accreditation and award submissions; program reviews; organizational manuals and handbooks such as faculty handbooks and an Academic Affairs style guide; academic reports, other institutional reports, and white papers; and project tracking documentation such as timelines, schedules, and progress reports. The department will also receive draft documentation on various institutional topics from other departments and will edit, format, and prepare content for publication.
Working with subject matter experts in Ashford University’sPresident’s Cabinet, University’s Colleges, and other departments within AU or Bridgepoint Education, the Sr. Technical Writer provides the high-level writing, editing, document styling, and formatting expertise necessary for the University to meet its accreditation and evidence-based documentation requirements. This position is a full-time employment opportunity reporting to the Associate Director of Accreditation and Academic Publications.
Essential Job Duties:
• Analyze document requirements and recommend or identify and collect necessary content from independent research or from internal departments to meet project requirements.
• Develop, interpret, and organize academic content and accreditation documentation from gathered material, independent research, interviews with subject matter experts, or archived materials. Experience creating, modifying, and editing long, complex documents.
• Develop document templates that conform to generally accepted publishing standards for layout, organization, and typology. Mentor other writers in such standards and template creation.
• Conduct independent research of previous documentation, reputable and scholarly Internet sources, proprietary databases, and other internal and external sources to provide supporting information, as needed.
• Authoritative knowledge of the English language, grammar, punctuation, and usage.Write, revise, edit, and proofread document drafts, in accordance with department standards and style guidelines; develop or revise such standards and guidelines, as assigned, and perform final edits of documents for quality assurance.
• Demonstrate authoritative knowledge of advanced MS Word features such as styles, references, tables of contents, lists of figures and tables, footnotes, header and footer options, page layout functions, tracked changes, and Developer tools to create professionally prepared academic documents.
• Experience in scholarly writing and editing in APA style, including cite references in text and in reference lists.
• Understand options for using various types of graphics and layout alternatives and integrate graphics with textdocuments; prepare professional-quality tables and graphic elements such as various types of charts, graphs, figures, photographs, and drawings to illustrate narrative content.
• Communicate and collaborate effectively and tactfully with key stakeholders, including President’s Cabinet, College Deans, and Executive Management on documentation projects.
• Research, gather, compile, and submit documentation for national awards to increase academic recognition.
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Develop style sheets and perform final edits of document drafts, as requested, to ensure that documents are accurate; complete; meet editorial, institutional, and department guidelines; and conform to department standards for quality and style.
• Work with department management and designated University academic leadership to develop an Academic Affairs style guide and guidelines for use of APA style in University documentation and publications.
• Meet quality standards of the department resulting in measurable quality/error-free work.
• Research and resolve document problems and recommend workflow process improvements.
• Conduct in-house training sessions, as directed by management, to train other department staff in advanced writing, documentation, and publication standards and skills.
• Assist in building collaborative, service-oriented relationships across the organization.
• Continually uphold the strategic goals of Ashford University.
• Annually compare and analyze Ashford documentation versus industry best practices.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Minimum of five to sevenyears of experience as an editor, technical writer or editor, copywriter or similar position and a strong grasp of the job skills and requirements of the position outlined above.
• Highly advanced writing and editing skills.
• Excellent problem-solving, writing, and analytical skills.
• Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
• Strong leadership skills, excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, and the ability to work effectively with others in a collaborative environment.
• Strong oral and written communications skills and authoritative knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and language usage skills.
• Strong knowledge of APA document format and reference style.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment where measures are utilized to set performance expectations and maintain accountability.
• Ability to work under pressure in a constantly changing environment, to handle multiple tasks with tight deadlines, to manage lengthy and complex documents, and to prioritize effectively.
• Strong knowledge of the Internet from an editorial and user experience point of view, and familiarity with technology.
• Previous experience in a higher education environment a plus.
• Experience with academic regional or specialized accreditation processes is highly desirable.
• Master’s degree preferably in English, Communication Studies,Technical Writing, or related Liberal Arts field.
Physical Requirements :
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed at Campus Security & Fire Safety Report . The report includes certain campus safety policies and statistics
on reportable crimes and incidents that occurred on campus, in certain
off-campus buildings, and on public property immediately adjacent to campus or
accessible from campus for three previous years. The policies include
campus security policies, crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and
sexual assault, among others. To obtain a paper copy of the report,
please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...