Couchbase is looking for a Sr. Technical Writer with a positive, proactive attitude and enthusiasm for researching and writing. We are looking for a writer who has the attention to detail to help ensure users and customers get the information they need to be successful with Couchbase Server. In this role, you will get information from developers and other subject matter experts and turn it into user-friendly documentation that our customers need, including how to avoid problems / trouble shoot and apply different solutions. Most importantly, you enjoy being dedicated to educating users on the best methods for using Couchbase Server and building their solutions on it.
- Write easy-to-understand and thorough documentation that shows people the best and easiest way to use Couchbase products.
- Identify documentation needs and expand existing manuals or create new documentation that focuses on the needs of Couchbase users, e.g. installation instructions, feature details, how-to guides for database interfaces and tools, release notes.
- Demonstrate follow-through in researching topics with subject-matter experts and in conducting timely reviews of content for clarity and technical accuracy.
- Apply basic rules of good writing to create clean, crisp, engaging content that is easy to read by technical audiences, including those with English as a second language.
- Communicate the benefits of the NoSQL software model using documentation, blog posts, community wiki and forums.
- Review and proofread documents written by other staff and work with non-writers to improve their research, writing skills and contribution to documentation.
- Take raw information and advice about product features and behaviors from internal developers and support teams, conduct further research and document.
- Willingness and ability to constantly try out new features and use your hands-on experience to build detailed documentation.
Good to have:
- A minimum of 5 years of technical writing experience in enterprise infrastructure software with a database or data management software development focus.
- Experience structuring and creating documentation for key product features and/or SDKs.
- Ability to document higher-level, conceptual information and step-by-step instructions about the product.
- Work as an adaptable, team player. Collaborate with the product development team, developer advocates, technical support and marketing to build targeted and detailed documentation and associated materials.
- Demonstrate experience creating content in a variety of mediums: Markdown, HTML, XML, various electronic files, web, blogs, and community forums,.
- System administration and/or development experience on either Windows or Linux. Experience of multiple platforms is an advantage.Experience using DocBook, XML and other DocBook systems.
- Must have a collaborative style and be an outstanding team player willing to work in a busy office and with remote Couchbase employees.
- Experience building or maintaining content management, authoring, and publishing tools for documentation..
- Experience with code-based documentation systems, such as RDoc, YARD, or Javadoc.
- Some presentation experience, or customer-focused support or community building roles.
- Illustration or web UI experience. Experience turning information into an easy to understand illustration or website content.