The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will perform senior-level writing, editing, and process management tasks to ensure the quality of training documentation created by a team of Technical Writers and Instructional Designers. The position is located in the Education department, which is within the larger Client Services group.
The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will design processes for all stages of the documentation cycle, provide high-level planning and scheduling for documentation projects with cross-functional teams, edit documentation written by other Writers, and train and provide ongoing guidance to other Writers. The position will also act as an individual contributor and will research and write procedural documentation, collaborate with Instructional Designers to create a range of training material, and update documentation for new version releases.
The ideal candidate is:
• An energetic self-starter who can define and plan large-scale documentation projects.
• A creative problem-solver with organizational and project management skills.
• Self-motivated and analytical with a dedication to quality and an exceptional eye for detail.
• Adept at working in a fast-paced environment with a steep learning curve and changing requirements.
• Hard-working, flexible, and willing to contribute in multiple areas.
Process Lead/Management Support
• Design and manage processes for writing, review, approval, and publication, and identify areas where new processes should be implemented.
• Design and manage templates, style guides, and other department standards.
• Manage the SharePoint structure for documentation.
• Participate in the hiring of new Writers.
• Design and manage material for onboarding newly hired Writers.
• Provide high-level project planning and scheduling, in collaboration with the Lead and/or Project Manager.
• Monitor and review scheduling and documentation in progress, and escalate any issues to the Lead and/or Director.
• Mentor and provide guidance to new and/or less experienced Writers.
• Edit all documentation written by other Writers for accuracy, consistency, readability, quality, and style compliance.
• Edit documentation written by other Education staff.
• Translate highly technical information into clear, concise, and user-friendly procedural documentation.
• Conduct research which includes testing products to verify the accuracy of all instructions, gathering and reviewing a wide range of existing documentation, and interviewing Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
• Collaborate with Instructional Designers to create training material.
• Maintain an ongoing knowledge of company products.
• Plan projects to meet time and budget constraints, and track and communicate project status to management.
• Capture screen shots and modify graphics as needed.
• Coordinate across multiple roles for document reviews and approvals.
• Solicit and incorporate feedback to continually improve documentation.
• Ability to travel up to 10%.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• At least 8 years progressive experience writing training documentation and/or software documentation that is targeted to end users. Background in adult education, instructional design, and/or healthcare IT is a plus.
• Strong attention to detail with advanced proofreading and editing skills.
• Interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with the ability to mentor/coach other writers and to collaborate with peers, SMEs, managers, corporate executives, and clients.
• Advanced knowledge of technical writing techniques and how to present complex concepts using clear, concise, and user-friendly text and graphics.
• Self-motivated with advanced knowledge of information-gathering techniques and a willingness to proactively research to ensure comprehensive documentation.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Snag-It.
• Ability to quickly learn specialized technology.
• Ability to multi-task, manage one’s own time, and consistently meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, with limited resources, and in a fast-changing environment.
• Strong work ethic with a drive for accuracy and quality.
• Flexible team player with a “can do" attitude and the ability to remain professional in high-pressure situations.
• Negative pre-employment drug test and criminal and MVR backgrounds that meet company hiring criteria.
Healthcare Management Systems, Inc - 17 months ago