Performs highly skilled mechanical and/or analytical duties in the coordination and completion of projects. Work is performed under general guidelines using established procedures and evaluated on results obtained. May supervise skilled and semi-skilled subordinates.
This position is responsible for coordinating and executing both the short and long term chemistry control objectives to ensure proper chemical and biological protection of all Central Heating and Cooling Plants, Texas Tech Museum, and International Textile Center systems and equipment in the safest, most efficient, and reliable manner. Provide analysis of other campus systems as directed. This is an Essential Personnel position and will be subject to call back during off hours.
Work safely and effectively with other employees in completing both the short and long term chemistry control objectives of the section of Utilities.
Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers at all times supporting the customer service philosophy of Texas Tech.
Responsible for the safe and efficient chemical and biological treatment of plant equipment to including but not limited to boilers, steam systems & turbines, chillers, reverse osmosis units, evaporative cooling towers, water softeners, water polishers, chemical feed systems pumps, valves, and piping systems. Conducts collection, testing and analysis of system fluids. Compares, monitors, records, and charts results to develop trends to increase treatment effectiveness. Performs all related preventative and corrective maintenance of the same systems.
Participate in the Personal Qualification program and complete qualifications through Utility Plant Operator II. Completes Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators Apprenticeship program within the allotted time.
Assists and works with other chemistry department personnel to develop material and labor estimates for proposed work, annual budget, inventories, procedures and policies. Performs cost analysis to ensure proper chemical usage and compliance with contract specification, pricing, and chemical consumption.
Provide direct and indirect oversight and guidance to 21 Utility Plant Operators.
Provide formal and informal classroom and on-the-job training of other Utility Plant Operators as assigned.
High school or equivalent and five years experience. Additional job related education may substitute for required experience on a year for year basis.
This is a Security Sensitive Level II Position: Applications for this position will be subject to a criminal background check and may be required to be fingerprinted. Applicants will be subject to drug and alcohol testing after a conditional offer of employment has been extended but before employment can be confirmed. The offer of employment is contingent upon the candidate passing the drug test. Employees in Level II positions are subject to a post-accident drug testing.
• Must have valid driver’s license and insurable to operate university vehicles.
• Must be available for on-call duty.
• Must qualify for Universal Refrigerant Handling Certification within 6 months of employment.
• Must meet minimum physical fitness requirements for this position as verified by qualified personnel as a condition of initial employment.
• Academic performance, job experience, or advanced training that indicates the employee will be able to complete the Personnel Qualification System training program to the Utility Plant Operator II level.
• Progressively increasing level of supervisory experience.
• Background and experience indicating a mechanical aptitude.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Lift forty (40) pounds.
• Climb a vertical thirty- (30) foot ladder.
• Work a full eight hours in a high noise level area (hearing protection required).
• Perform physical labor for extended periods of time in a high temperature and humidity environment.
• Be mobile, requiring extensive standing and walking on steel grating and cement floors, and climbing of multiple stairs.
Hourly Pay Range
13.16 - 18.78
Monthly Pay Range
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 21 months ago