The Oregon Public Utility Commission (PUC) is responsible for regulating investor-owned utilities, privately-owned water companies, and the telephone industry. PUC’s mission is to ensure that safe and reliable utility services are provided to customers at just and reasonable rates while fostering the use of competitive markets to achieve these objectives.
PUC is searching for an experienced professional to fill the following position:
Utility and Energy Analyst 3, Senior Telecommunications Analyst
The primary purpose of this position is to provide expertise to the PUC Telecommunications and Water Division in the areas of financial analysis, telecommunications network and service cost, telecommunications accounting, and jurisdictional separations. This position develops and implements rules and policy regarding complex telecommunications issues. Major duties include:
- Analysis of telecommunication financial reports and studies filled with the Commission for review or to support proposed rate changes. This analysis encompasses the review of engineering, economic, accounting, and policy assumptions made by the companies. Further, these reviews will be used to determine if the filings comport with PUC policies, rules, and statutes.
- Provides assistance with the administration of the Oregon Universal Service Fund. These activities include but are not limited to: 1) investigating of the operation of the fund and proposing changes that will improve its operation; 2) writing requests-for-proposals needed to hire auditors, administrators, and contractors and; 3) conducting research on various aspects of the fund and making presentations on the items researched to the Commission, the Advisory Board, or to industry associations.
- Analysis of complex and controversial telecommunications issues, the development of appropriate policy recommendations, and the communication of those recommendations in writing and verbally to the Commission.
- Making formal presentations to the Commission in support of Public Meeting Memos and leading workshops with participants from regulated utilities, other agency personnel, and other interested parties.
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance, or Accounting AND
Four years of professional-level work experience in engineering, economic analysis, finance, accounting or auditing OR
Seven years of work experience in any of the above fields; four of which must have been at the professional level.
A Master’s or Doctorate degree may substitute for up to one year of the work experience.
In addition, we are specifically recruiting for the preferred qualifications below. Applicants who are best able to demonstrate these attributes will be contacted for an interview.
To view the complete job announcement including minimum qualifications, salary information and application instructions please visit our jobs page at: http://www.puc.state.or.us/puc/Pages/jobs/index.aspx, click on “Jobs at PUC” and view the following announcements:
- Professional level financial analysis work experience in the telecommunications industry, or in a regulatory setting involving telecommunications issues.
- Work experience designing studies, performing secondary and/or primary research, performing quantitative/qualitative analysis on the subject, and writing up the findings.
- Experience making presentations in a public setting.
- Experience leading meetings or workshops involving individuals with conflicting interests.
- Professional level work experience developing written comments and recommendations intended to inform or influence the decision making of a public agency.
- Advanced-level knowledge and skills working with spreadsheets and Microsoft office software.
Utility and Energy Analyst 3 (Senior Telecommunications Analyst) – PUC13-0003
PUC is an EEO/AA employer.